MORNING BUZZ: The Harrell ruling and what's next
05/13/2014 5:29 AM
05/13/2014 6:19 AM
The House is scheduled to consider revisions today to its ethics reform bill -- a day after a judge ordered allegations against Speaker Bobby Harrell out of the hands of a grand jury and put them into the House ethics committee. Also on the House calendar today are bills that would allow lawmakers to approve appointing a special prosecutor in public corruption cases.
The big news of the day: The Bobby Harrell ruling
Judge to AG Alan Wilson : Stop SLED and grand jury probe of House Speaker Harrell
Watchdog: Should Justices Jean Toal and Coata Pleicones recuse themselves from Harrell matter?
S.C. Policy Council: No plan to send Harrell complaint to House panel
In other news...
Underdog S.C. Democrats gather at Galivants Ferry.
Gay-rights groups in 3 states -- including South Carolina -- closely eye Virginia case.
Charleston County Republicans censure U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham, The (Charleston) Post and Courier reports.
Lindsey Graham's new ads tout support for Keystone pipeline, domestic drilling
News from the North
Clay Aiken's North Carolina congressional primary opponent dies at his home
Who’s schmoozing the General Assembly today: Clemson University, reception for General Assembly and staff (6-8 p.m., Hall at Senate's End, 320 Senate St.)
State House today
Joint Senate and House meeting• 10:30 a.m.: Joint Legislative Committee to Screen Candidates for College and University Boards of Trustees (State House, 3rd Floor Conference Room)
Full body meets at 10 a.m.
No meetings today (The Senate is debating the budget on the floor.)
Full body meets at noon• 11 a.m.: House Legislative Ethics Committee (Blatt Room 511 / Agenda )
• 1½ hours after the House adjourns Ways and Means Licenses, Fees, Insurance Tax and Other Charges Subcommittee (Blatt Room 108 / Agenda )
• 1½ hours after the House adjourns Ways and Means Revenue Policy Subcommittee (Blatt Room 521 / Agenda )
• 1½ hours after the House adjourns Ways and Means Property Tax Subcommittee (Blatt Room 523 / Agenda )
• 1½ hours after the House adjourns Education and Public Works Committee on S.160, S.459 and S.516 (Blatt Room 433 / Agenda )
• 2:30 p.m. or 1½ hours after the House adjourns Medical, Military, Public and Municipal Affairs Committee (Blatt Room 427 / Agenda )
• 2:30 p.m. or 1½ hours after the House adjourns LCI Insurance Subcommittee on S.909 and S.1233 (Blatt Room 511 / Agenda )
• 2:30 p.m. or 1½ hours after the House adjourns Judiciary Committee (Blatt Room 516 / Agenda )
• Upon adjournment of the Insurance Subcommittee LCI Business and Commerce Subcommittee on S.826, S.998 and S.1100 (Blatt Room 511 / Agenda )
Get the newsletters : Sign up for the Morning Buzz and afternoon update
Got a tip? : Send us an email
About this blog
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.