Judges in the Palmetto State made historic news Wednesday.
• Gay couples in South Carolina could get married as soon as one minute after noon on Nov. 20 under a landmark federal court decision thatoverturned the state’s bans on same-sex marriage
Never miss a local story.
. S.C. Attorney General Alan Wilson, who has fought to preserve the ban on same-sex marriage, said he will appeal to the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals. But observers say that’s a losing battle.
• The S.C. Supreme Court ruled in favor of poor, rural school districts who sued the state more than 20 years ago for failingto provide them with a basic education system
. The historic ruling could change the face of public education in South Carolina. But rather than outline what the General Assembly must do to improve the state’s education system, the court left it to lawmakers and school districts to work together to find solutions. Read
andreaction from around the state
SC House panel urged to toughen bail laws for domestic violence
SC education board rejects criticisms of US history course
New sentencing hearings ordered for 15 SC prisoners convicted of murder
State program for autism care will need to change as Medicaid coverage begins
Jessie Jackson to GOP: follow ‘moral compass’ of Jesus
SC legislator: DHEC trying an end run on the certificate-of-need process
Scoppe: Was misspending campaign funds really part of Bobby Harrell’s ‘duties as a holder of elective office’?
Can a selfie a workday keep poverty away?
Perry hints at presidential run with GOP groups in Beaufort County
Immigration, Keystone top first day of lame duck
S.C. State House today
• 10 a.m.: Senate Finance Special Subcommittee to Review the Investment of State Retirement Funds (Blatt Room 426 /Agenda
• 1 p.m.: Medical Marijuana Study Committee, Greenville, Clemson's ICAR Campus, Campbell Graduate Engineering Center, AT&T Auditorium, 4 Research Drive (Agenda
• 3 - 4 p.m.: Joint Citizens and Legislative Committee on Childrenmeeting
(Bill Rogers Community Connections Center at the Department of Juvenile Justice, 4900 Broad River Road, Bldg 3019 /Agenda
• 4 - 7:30 p.m.: Joint Citizens and Legislative Committee on Childrenpublic hearing
(Bill Rogers Community Connections Center at the Department of Juvenile Justice, 4900 Broad River Road, Bldg 3019)
Get the newsletters: Sign up for the Morning Buzz and afternoon update
Got a tip?: Send us an email