Gov. Nikki Haley is on an 10-day trade mission to India, the birthplace of her parents. The Buzz will post ongoing reports from Indian media about her visit:
• Haley sees similarity in her approach and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s:Here are her lessons
Never miss a local story.
• Haley says India needs to ensure predictability in itsrules to win foreign investors
• Haley woos Indian tourists: "This is here where magic happens.I want my Indian community to visit South Carolina."
• Haley talks education and economic-development collaboration with Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, who adds "we all wished andpray to almighty that she should soon become the President of USA."
• Haley meets Indian foreign minister Sushma Swaraj
• Haley visited the holy Sikh shrine, the Golden Temple in Amritsar, saying that she was there"as a humble human being," NDTV reports
• She becomes emotional during a short interview aired byAsian News International about her visit
• But the temple visit created some controversy after a Sikh priest gavehis sword to Michael Haley, The Times of India reports.
• Haley said generating jobs could help cure rampantdrug abuse in Punjab and South Carolina
Gov. Nikki Haley and her husband, Michael, take selfies outside the Giolden Temple in Amritsar, India, with press aide Rob Godfrey (far left) and legislative aide Katherine Veldran (far right) on Saturday. Credit: The Times of India
• Aquestion-and-answer with India Today
that addresses some similarities with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and her upcoming visit to the Sikh shrine, the Golden Temple
• Haleyvisited Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal
to discuss working with aerospace, pharmaceutical, tourism, and agriculture-processing businesses.
• From the Hindustan Times --Nikki’s homecoming: Want to relive memories of my Punjabi parents
• An interview with television network NDTV where Haley is asked if she has abandoned her Indian roots and about her decision to become a Christian.