• Newly elected House Speaker Jay Lucas told fellow members Tuesday that they “should have nothing to fear from sunlight, but the public has much to fear from the darkness of secrecy.”
Never miss a local story.
State representatives gathered Tuesday to start their organizational session, electing new officers and voting on new rules. The body reconvenes at 10 a.m. and will receive committee assignments.
“It’s going to be a new, brighter day in the House,” said the Darlington Republican who has served as acting speaker since Bobby Harrell stepped down, was indicted on public corruption charges and resigned.
• The S.C. Senate can pre-file legislation today – one of two days lawmakers can submit legislation before the two-year General Assembly’s first regular session kicks off in January. Check back here today for details on proposed bills.
• S.C. State University
. South Carolina’s only historically black public college could get word as early as Wednesday about a new $12 million state loan that could help spur a turnaround. But the Orangeburg school is having to answer new questions about its ongoing deficit.
• Ex-Sen. Robert Ford is
to face charges including a felony forgery charge, and seven misdemeanor charges for campaign finance abuses and misconduct in office. Ford resigned last year after two decades in the state Senate. He wasindicted last month
S.C. State House today
• 1:30 p.m.: Joint Bond Review Committee (Gressette Room 408 /Agenda
• 9 a.m.: Special Criminal Domestic Violence Ad Hoc Committee Penalties Subcommittee (Blatt Room 516 /Agenda
• Upon adjournment of the House: Education and Public Works Committee (Blatt Room 433) Ways and Means Committee (Blatt Room 521 /Agenda
• Upon adjournment of the full Ways and Means Committee: Legislative Oversight Committee (Blatt Room 521 /Agenda
• Upon adjournment of the full Judiciary Committee: Regulations and Administrative Procedures Committee (Blatt Room 516 /Agenda
• 2:30 p.m. or upon adjournment of the standing House Committees: Transportation Infrastructure and Management Ad-Hoc Committee (Blatt Room 426 /Agenda
• 2:30 p.m. or two hours after the House adjourns: Investigation and Enforcement Subcommittee of the House Ethics and Freedom of Information Act Study Committee (Blatt Room 511 /Agenda
• U.S. Sen. Tim Scott sworn in,no desire to run for governor in 2018
• Democratic lawmakerswant cops to wear body cameras
• Sen. Setzler: Lawmakersshould set aside money for interstates
• Heritage’s Jim DeMint: Kingmaker orroyal pain to GOP?
• Judge refuses to dropcharges against suspended-Lexington County Sheriff Metts
• Shaw AFB pilot dies overseas,first service member with S.C. ties to die in the war on ISIS
• Private Columbia dormto get 10-year tax break
• What lies beneath Cayce:History in their own front yard
Get the newsletters: Sign up for the Morning Buzz and afternoon update
Got a tip?: Send us an email