Joseph Hadden, a Furman University student found dead in his dorm room last month, died of a lethal dose of fentanyl, according to the Greenville County Coroner's Office.
Hadden, 23, of Augusta, Georgia, was discovered unresponsive in his bed in the North Village apartments about 1 a.m. on May 5, authorities have said.
Furman police officers said they responded and performed CPR until EMS arrived,
Toxicology results released by the Coroner's Office Friday show Hadden died of acute fentanyl toxicity.
Never miss a local story.
At least nine people have fatally overdosed on fentanyl from Jan. 1 to May 1 this year, said Deputy Coroner Jeff Fowler. All of the deaths have involved injections, he said.
There were eight total fentanyl deaths in 2016, Fowler said.
An opioid 30 times more powerful than heroin, fentanyl has been linked to dozens of drug poisoning deaths in Greenville County since 2015.
Hadden was a senior at Furman who was to graduate the next day, according to a statement released by Furman University President Elizabeth Davis.
He was also a member of Furman's golf team.
The Coroner's Office and the State Law Enforcement Division had been investigating Hadden's death.