The Electoral College was a compromise between the popular vote and Congress selecting the president, designed to prevent larger states from rolling over smaller states. But the time has come to tweak it.
S.C. Democrats cast a useless ballot for president because the state is so Republican that all our electoral votes will go to the GOP candidate; New York Republicans don’t count because that’s a blue state.
If the electoral votes were distributed by percentage, everyone’s vote would count: If one party got 60 percent of the votes, it would get 60 percent of that state’s electoral votes, and the other party would get 40 percent.
Nebraska and Maine do that, and it’s the fairest way of electing a president.
Never miss a local story.
This would also eliminate the fixation on battleground states like Ohio, Pennsylvania and Florida. Sooner or later, this system will hurt both parties, so changing it should receive bipartisan support.