Kelcy Quarles was in New York last week but never went to the bar mentioned in a TMZ.com report and was not in a fight, he told The State on Tuesday.
“I’m (mad) about it because it’s going to hurt my draft status,” the former South Carolina defensive tackle said. “I’m about to do everything I possibly can to get my name cleared because it’s not fair. I had nothing to do with this.”
Quarles and former Gamecock cornerback Victor Hampton are wanted for questioning by the New York Police Department in connection to an alleged physical altercation at the Greenhouse nightclub on April 11, TMZ reported on its website Tuesday, citing unnamed sources. TMZ.com reported that there was a fight in the VIP section of the club involving a club promoter -- who was allegedly attacked by three men and suffered “extensive facial injuries.”
Quarles and Hampton, along with former teammates Connor Shaw, Bruce Ellington and Chaz Sutton, were in New York last week for an ESPN The Magazine photo shoot titled “Kings for a Day.”
Never miss a local story.
Quarles never went to Greenlight while in New York, he said, and he believes police are looking for Sutton, he said.
“I have not been questioned. What am I being questioned for?” Quarles said. “I am telling you they are looking for Chaz Sutton.”
Sutton was not in a fight, did not witness a fight and did not go to Greenlight, he said.
“No, I actually hung out with my friends that night,” Sutton said. “I wasn’t even involved or there so I couldn’t really tell you. I don’t know what is going on.”
Hampton hung up Tuesday when reached by The State. Hampton and Quarles are expected to be mid-round selections in next month’s NFL Draft. Sutton is expected to be a late-round pick or an undrafted free agent.