CLEMSON - The No. 48 South Carolina men's tennis team stormed to a 5-2 victory against No. 33 Clemson on Wednesday afternoon at the Hoke Sloan Tennis Center.
USC seniors Pedro Campos and Diego Cubas won both their singles and doubles matches for the second time in as many matches as the Gamecocks (8-7) earned their sixth consecutive nonconference win.
South Carolina started the match by winning the doubles point as Campos and Cubas posted an 8-3 victory against Derek DiFazio and Wes Moran in the No. 1 position.
South Carolina clinched the doubles point as Ivan Cressoni and Ivan Machado defeated Clemson's Carlos Alvarez and Juan Bolona, 8-5, at No. 2 doubles.
The Tigers scored the first point in singles with Kevin Galloway's win in the No. 3 match, but the Gamecocks won the next three matches to finish to secure victory.
Alexander Kostanov started the run with a 6-2, 6-2 win in the No. 4 spot, and Campos, ranked No. 125 in the nation, extended his singles win streak to 11 with a 6-0, 7-5 win over DiFazio in the No. 2 position.
No. 73 Cubas clinched the win with a second-set tiebreaker to score a 6-2, 7-6 win over Alvarez in the No. 1 matchup.
Machado closed out Zachary Rigsby with a second-set tiebreaker as well, winning 6-3, 7-6 in the No. 5 spot.
Pulsfort battled into the third set in the No. 6 match, but fell to Bolona.
"The doubles points were very important today," Clemson coach Chuck McCuen said. "I thought we matched up well overall with South Carolina, but we just didn't execute. We didn't execute on the big points. I was disappointed in our lack of execution when it counted. We will have to regroup and get ready for conference matches this weekend."
Clemson falls to 15-2. USC has a 60-39-2 lead in the series that started in 1925.
1. Pedro Campos/Diego Cubas (SC) d. Derek DiFazio/Wes Moran (CU) 8-3
2. Ivan Cressoni/Ivan Machado (SC) d. Carlos Alvarez/Juan Bolona (CU) 8-5
3. Zachary Rigsby/Moritz Dettinger (CU) d. Johannes Pulsfort/Alexander
Kostanov (SC) 8-4
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1. (73) Diego Cubas (SC) d. Carlos Alvarez (CU) 6-2, 7-6
2. (125) Pedro Campos (SC) d. Derek DiFazio (CU) 6-0, 7-5
3. Kevin Galloway (CU) d. Ivan Cressoni (SC) 6-4, 6-4
4. Alexander Kostanov (SC) d. Wes Moran (CU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Ivan Machado (SC) d. Zachary Rigsby (CU) 6-3, 7-6
6. Juan Bolona (CU) d. Johannes Pulsfort (SC) 7-5, 5-7, 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 2, 1, 5, 6