The South Carolina athletic department announced on Wednesday that it will host the inaugural "Gamecocks Run" 6K run/walk race on Feb. 28. The event, which will be held on campus, will begin at 8 a.m. Participants will have the opportunity to run or walk a unique route that offers a once-n-a-lifetime experience in and around Gamecock athletic facilities.
The race starts at Gamecock Park next to Williams-Brice Stadium, and continues through the "Roost" -- Carolina Softball Stadium at Beckham Field, the Carolina Tennis Center, The Dodie, the Rice Athletics Center and Stone Stadium. The race route also passes through and alongside exciting and historic campus landmarks, such as the Cooper library, the Moore School of Business and the Horseshoe. The finish line for the event is at the top of the Gamecock "Block C" logo at half-court inside Colonial Life Arena.
"I think this is a really fun chance for our great fans to have the opportunity to experience the great facilities we have at Carolina while also supporting both basketball programs," athletics director Ray Tanner said. "We welcome the entire community to enjoy our beautiful campus."
All race participants will receive the following:
* Unique 6K experience around and through the South Carolina campus and athletics facilities with the feel of a Gamecock gameday
* Awesome and BIG finisher's medal
* Race T-shirt
* Post-race refueling options including food and drinks
* FREE ticket to women's basketball vs. Mississippi State on Feb. 26
* FREE ticket to men's basketball vs. Mississippi State on Feb. 28
Registration is $35 for adults (18 and over) and $15 for youth (under-18) and USC students.
More information on the Gamecocks Run can be found at GamecocksRun.com