South Carolina Athletics Director Ray Tanner addresses the future of the Gamecocks baseball program with the departure of coach Chad Holbrook.
▪ There is no set timeline to fill the job, but “ideally we would like to move sooner than later.” Some candidates might still playing in the NCAA tournament, Tanner said.
▪ Pitching coach Jerry Meyers remains on staff as the interim coach until the new person is hired.
▪ Tanner said he’s looking for “someone that understands Carolina baseball and what the brand is about.”
Never miss a local story.
▪ Asked about the bigger salaries many head coaches today have, Tanner said, “We’ll be competitive in the marketplace.”
▪ There will be no search firm. Coach Tanner feels like his connections from being a longtime baseball coach are still intact as the make the next hire.