RALEIGH | Former South Carolina tight end Weslye Saunders will be in the NFL draft after all.
The NFL cleared Saunders on Monday to enter the April draft and to attend the combine, Durham attorney Butch Williams said.
Saunders’ draft status had been in limbo after a miscommunication between the league and Saunders.
“They’ve cleared up all the confusion,” said Williams, Saunders’ agent. “They did the right thing and we’re off to Indianapolis.”
Never miss a local story.
Saunders will attend the combine in Indianapolis on Feb. 24. Saunders has not played since the 2009 season.
South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier kicked Saunders off the team on Sept. 15 for his involvement in an NCAA investigation in connection with receiving improper benefits from an agent.
Saunders’ draft status became an issue after he failed to apply for a “special eligibility” waiver before Jan. 15. The NFL invited Saunders to the combine on Jan. 3, Williams said, which they took as a sign that he didn’t need a waiver.
On Jan. 24, the league notified Saunders he was ineligible for the draft. Shortly after, Williams made an appeal to the league, which was upheld on Monday.