Steve Spurrier previewed the UCF game during his weekly press conference on Tuesday. The highlights:
* Spurrier expressed his condolences at the passing of Paul Dietzel. "We're thinking about him." Dietzel had a wonderful life and career.
* UCF is a team that's sky-high. The Knights are 3-0 for the first time since 1988. "It's a huge game for all of us."
* Spurrier recognized the projected temperature of the game. "I told Jadeveon, you need to get in better shape, going to be another hot day."
* The Knights' defense is sound. They disguise their coverages well. The 31 points allowed to Penn State, in big part, was because UCF took a big lead.
* The players have had the point stressed to them that this may be the biggest game on UCF's schedule. USC is looking at it the same way as if it was the SEC Championship Game. The Gamecocks are never going to be good enough to overlook anybody.
* Lot of improvement to do, notably on special teams. The two biggest plays the unit has had this year is because the opponent dropped the ball. Not like USC is the only team that isn't getting turnovers, but the Gamecocks are working on forcing the ball out.
* The depth chart lists Cody Waldrop OR Clayton Stadnik at center. Waldrop was able to practice some on Monday. They hope to have a final decision around Thursday. They have been impressed with Stadnik. "We thought he'd hold his own in there." Could be a chance both of them play in the game.
* There is a chance that Dylan Thompson will play some against UCF.
* "Still waiting for some scoring to come from our defense and our special teams." Hoping that the scoring isn't just relegated to offense. But Gamecocks are averaging over 30 points per game.
* Mike Davis is 100 percent. Trainer said he twisted it, Davis said he was fine. Jadeveon Clowney and Chaz Sutton should be full-go for Tuesday's practice.
* Jimmy Legree said that last week's practices were like a regular game. They'll really get into the prep today. Overall, he feels the defense has played OK. It's just tightening up on everything.
* "We know we need to turn it around right now. We can't make excuses for ourselves," Marcquis Roberts said. The entire defense is disappointed in its performance at times this year. The leaders of the defense, he said, are Legree, Victor Hampton, Kelcy Quarles, Sutton and Clowney.
* Roberts on Cedrick Cooper: "He's been working his way back in," at middle or weakside linebacker.
Follow on Twitter at @DCTheState