Steve Spurrier held his weekly press conference on Tuesday and previewed the Clemson game. The highlights:
* Kelcy Quarles, Jadeveon Clowney and Mike Davis should be ready to start. Each will practice today. Brison Williams remains questionable with a forearm injury, although he was listed as starting on the depth chart.
* Quarles and Clowney will participate in Senior Day activities, along with Connor Shaw, Chaz Sutton, Ronald Patrick, Jimmy Legree and David Wilkins. Victor Hampton is considering participating.
* Spurrier said that it’s “very neat for our state to have two that started in the Top 10 and are still in the Top 10. I guess one of the biggest games we’ve had with them. “
Never miss a local story.
* Being tight on defense and being strong in the running game has been paramount to winning the last four years. Crucial for this week as well. It helps that USC’s defense has much improved since the beginning of the season, although the pass-rush has not been strong this year, and that USC has its starting running back healthy this year.
* The game could come down to special teams. Each team has excellent kickers. Elliott Fry has exploded onto the scene and Chandler Catanzaro are each having terrific years. The game hasn’t come down to a kick since 2006 and 2007 (Jad Dean missed and Mark Buchholz made).
* Spurrier knows that it will be impossible for fans not to tune into the Texas A&M-Missouri game since it’s so easy to get information these days. But the team won’t be paying attention to it.
* If Spurrier had to make a choice and could only get one, he’d pick winning an SEC championship over beating Clemson. The Gamecocks have beaten Clemson before but haven’t won the SEC. If the situation was the opposite (and they had won the SEC), he’d say the opposite.
Follow on Twitter at @DCTheState