Steve Spurrier held his teleconference on Sunday to wrap the Auburn game.
* Skai Moore sprained his ankle. Many are banged up but Moore is the only serious one. He’s “probably doubtful” for Tennessee.
* “We were very good in the red zone in scoring, then all of a sudden we missed a few down there and threw some interceptions. We messed up a couple times down there.”
* “We’re just a struggling bunch of guys on defense right now, and we know that.”
Never miss a local story.
* Tennessee is one of USC’s four biggest rivals, with Georgia, Florida and Clemson. Spurrier hopes to give them a good game. Points out Volunteers’ record isn’t great, “kind of like ours.”
* On the defense: “Obviously, (the confidence) is not real good. We’re out of position a lot, we get blocked a lot, we don’t tackle very well. When those things happen, the other team goes up and down the field quite a bit.” The defense stuffed Mike Davis and USC’s running game in the first preseason scrimmage. “Obviously, something’s changed.”
* Is he confident in the defensive staff? "Certainly. We're coaching very similarly to what we used to do."
* Any thought of changing the defensive staff? "All of our coaches are under contract. They got security. We're not talking any changes."
* On the SEC apologizing for missing a penalty not giving USC another chance at winning the game: “That’s sort of a luck shot. A guy like Alshon got one against Nebraska.”
* “Every play did not work. We made five out of six fourth downs, most all in our territory. Many a time, we got stuffed, but we seemed to keep the drive going.”
* “Right now, the way our defense is playing, I think it’s obvious – it doesn’t matter where they start, know what I mean?”