The South Carolina football team, under first-year head coach Will Muschamp, begins preseason practice for the 2016 season this week. The first workout is Tuesday. Here are five things to know about how this week’s schedule breaks down.
1. Media day is Monday, starting with a Muschamp news conference at 2 p.m. and wrapping up with player interviews. No freshmen will be made available to speak at media day or during the preseason.
2. The Gamecocks have seven practices this week, starting Tuesday. Six of those workouts are in the morning, with two practices set for Sunday. All of this week’s practices are closed to the public. (The three open practices are Aug. 15, 16 and 17.)
3. The first four practices of the week are “split squad” workouts. Coaches will break the sessions up into a “veterans practice” as well as a “rookies practice” for newcomers.
Never miss a local story.
4. Co-offensive coordinator Kurt Roper is scheduled to speak with the media on Wednesday. Defensive coordinator Travaris Robinson will speak after Friday’s practice.
5. The team goes to full pads on Saturday, the first day media members are able to view a designated early portion of the Gamecocks’ practice.