South Carolina moved a scheduled afternoon practice to Thursday evening, holding its 12th practice of the preseason on its outdoor fields at 6:30 p.m.
The Gamecocks will have their first non-practice day of fall camp Friday, although the team still hold a walk-through. Observations from the part of Thursday’s practice open to the media:
▪ Although sophomore receiver Deebo Samuel returned to practice from a hamstring injury, he did not participate in team drills. Wide receivers Chavis Dawkins, Jamari Smith and Javon Charleston worked with the first unit on the field. Samuel did catch and return punts later in the workout.
▪ Junior running back David Williams took the second-team snaps at tailback during team drills. Freshman A.J. Turner continues to work as the first-team back.
▪ True freshman Keir Thomas worked on the second-team defensive line, along with Taylor Stallworth, Ulric Jones and Daniel Fennell.
▪ Junior college transfer Stephen Montac was the second-team nickel back, and linebackers Jonathan Walton and T.J. Brunson were in on the second-team nickel formation.
▪ True freshman quarterback Brandon McIlwain took first-team reps in the team drill during the media viewing period, while senior Perry Orth was the second in the rotation.
▪ The first-team offensive line, from left, continued to be Mason Zandi, Zack Bailey, Cory Helms, Donell Stanley and D.J. Park.
▪ Not practicing included linebacker Larenz Bryant (hamstring), running back Rico Dowdle (groin), running back Mon Denson (arthroscopic knee surgery). Also in yellow no-contact jerseys were defensive tackle Stephon Taylor, and tight ends Kyle Markway and Robert Tucker.