Defensive back Naytron Culpepper of Miami will take his first official visit to South Carolina on Saturday for the UMass game.
Along with Maryland, Mississippi State, Utah and Michigan State, Culpepper (6-0, 175) has USC in his top five.
Culpepper said he’s been hearing from the USC coaching staff “pretty often” and heard from defensive coordinator Travaris Robinson earlier this week. He plans to arrive in Columbia on Friday to visit with Robinson before the game Saturday.
“I should be hanging out with coach T-Rob and hopefull get a chance to talk to one of the teammates who used to play for Carol City,” Culpepper said, referring to USC sophomore DB Rashad Fenton. “We talked a lot. When I took my unofficial to South Carolina, I got a chance to talk to him and we hung out with each other for a little bit and stuff.”
Never miss a local story.
As for his other officials, Culpepper is finalizing plans to visit Michigan State in November and Maryland in December. He said he hears from both of those schools regularly.
Culpepper has not planned his other two officials to Utah and Mississippi State at this point. He hopes to have his decision by the end of the season.
In-state DB awaiting in-state offers
2018 DB Quavian White (5-9, 167) of Greer is a prospect USC and Clemson are paying attention to this season and his performance could lead eventually to offers.
“I’ve been to USC and Clemson,” White said. “I had a good experience at both schools. I talk to Coach T-Rob at South Carolina and I enjoyed him a great deal. I talked to coach Mike Reed and Coach Elliott at Clemson and we’ve had some good discussions. Both say that I am on their radar and they liked my athleticism and explosiveness.”
White visited Wisconsin last Saturday for the Ohio State game. He is going to Appalachian State this Saturday. He’s also hearing from Colorado State and is getting emails and text messages from several other schools.
▪ 2018 basketball standout Zion Williamson of Spartanburg will visit NC State Friday and Duke Saturday. Williamson has been planning to visit USC but has not gotten there this fall. He will rescheduled with the Gamecocks. He has been to Clemson this fall.
▪ 2019 USC WR target Jacoby Pinckney of Dorman was offered Wednesday by Wake Forest.
▪ 2018 USC DL target Josh Belk of Lewisville was offered by Florida, according to 247Sports.
▪ 2018 WR Tykee Ogle-Kellogg (6-5 190) of Alcoa, Tenn., will visit USC Saturday for the Massachusetts game. He’s also been to Clemson. He said the Gamecocks and Tigers are interested enough to consider offering. He has offers from Louisville, Memphis, Texas-San Antonio and Austin Peay.
▪ DL Emmanuel McNeil of Lawrenceville, Ga., missed a couple of games this season with a concussion but he’s back on the field now. He’s been involved with USC and wants to take an official visit Dec. 3 with his good friend and USC commitment Davonne Bowen. He’s also hearing from Kentucky, Tennessee, Florida, NC State and Southern Cal. McNeil, who is a Greenville native, visited USC back in July.
▪ 2018 LB Chandler Tindall of Spring Valley is not going to a game this Saturday but plans to be at USC Oct. 29 for the Tennessee game. He’s been to two other USC home games this season. And he’s going to Clemson Nov. 5 for the Syracuse game.
▪ Local basketball standout Clyde Trapp Jr. of Lower Richland went to Charlotte this week for Midnight Madness. He takes an official to USC starting Friday.