Defensive lineman Devonte Wyatt of Decatur, Ga., committed to South Carolina in June, but two months later he backed off that pledge and committed to Georgia.
The Gamecocks have not given up on Wyatt, and he plans to take an official visit with them in January.
“I talked to coach [Lance] Thompson two day ago,” Wyatt said. “He came to the school and we talked about my grades and things. He said they will still try to get me.”
About the strength of his Georgia commitment, Wyatt said, “It’s kind of strong, at about 70 percent. But there’s probably a chance of South Carolina getting me back. Coach Thompson is recruiting me hard.”
Wyatt said he’s also talking to Florida and Alabama. He is scheduled to visit Georgia Jan. 14 and is looking at USC for Jan. 21 or 28.
This season Wyatt had between 60 and 70 tackles.
USC touches base with Miami DB
Defensive Naytron Culpepper of Miami said he has been in contact recently with the USC coaching staff, as head coach Will Muschamp and defensive backs coach Travaris Robinson visited his school Tuesday to watch him practice.
“They were happy to see me and excited to talk to me,” Culpepper said. “It’s always a great visit with coach Muschamp and coach T-Rob because ever since I was offered, you know, we just kind of clicked. It’s a great relationship between coach Muschamp and coach T-Rob. We understand each other and we understand what I’m trying to come up there and do.”
Culpepper will be taking his second official visit to Maryland this weekend and is planning to take one to Michigan State sometime in the future. He said his recruiting has picked up with many schools, including Kentucky, Maryland, Kansas, Mississippi State and Georgia.
News and notes
▪ DB Keisean Nixon of Arizona Western College released a top six Wednesday night of USC, Georgia, Tennessee, Oregon State, UCLA and Mississippi State. He was visited by Will Muschamp earlier this week and has taken official visits to USC, Oregon State, Colorado State and Iowa State. He will announce on Dec. 17.
▪ According to 247Sports, offensive Jordan Rhodes of Fairburn, Ga., has set an official visit to USC for Jan. 14. He will visit Cincinnati the following weekend.
▪ USC offered 2018 DE Kayode Oladele of Miami on Wednesday.
▪ USC Wednesday offered 2018 LB James Head Jr. of Miami.
▪ 2018 PK BT Potter of South Pointe visited USC Wednesday. “It was nice, the special teams coach wasn’t there but I talked to the strength coach and he told me they have all been talking about me and they would love to have me there. It was great. The two schools looking at me the most are Clemson and USC and both of them have came to a game to watch me. They both have said they think I could potentially start for their programs but before they offer me they want to come to my school for a practice. I’m also talking to Virginia Tech, Georgia and UNC.”