USC’s coach Will Muschamp opened his June football camps Saturday:
▪ The Gamecocks landed a commitment from one of the state’s top athletes in RJ Roderick (6-1 205) of Cane Bay. Roderick was recruited by the Gamecocks as a safety though some schools liked him as a running back, and option schools saw him as a quarterback. He’s the Gamecocks’ seventh commitment for the 2018 class.
▪ DL Jabari Ellis of Georgia Military College has been favoring USC over a field that primarily consists of NC State and Colorado at this point. Saturday he was in Columbia and gave Muschamp a further look at his skills. Ellis said USC still leads but he wants to visit NC State next weekend before clarifying things in his mind. He also plans to visit Colorado later in the month.
▪ DE Trajan Jeffcoat of Irmo attended the USC camp Saturday in hopes of landing an offer from Muschamp. Jeffcoat feels he performed well but Muschamp wants to see some of his senior film before moving on him. Jeffcoat has a Missouri offer and hears from the Tigers daily. He said Maryland appears close on an offer. He also has offers from Colorado State, Indiana and Middle Tennessee State.
Never miss a local story.
▪ OL Damien Lewis (6-3 325) of NW Mississippi JC was at USC Saturday. He was 2nd team JUCO AA last season.
▪ Tight end TE Brandon Shelnutt of Lawrenceville, Ga., GA was at USC Saturday, but only as participated as an observer. Shelnutt has an offer from South Florida and will visit there this week and he plans to visit other SEC and ACC schools this summer. He also has offers from Georgia State, FIU, Tennessee-Chattanooga, Mercer and Jacksonville State.
▪ Tight end TE Gavin Schoenwald of Brentwood, Tenn., has been strong on USC since the beginning of his recruiting process. The Gamecocks have remained strong contenders even as his offer list has grown to 13. When he gets down to a shortlist of five or fewer, he said the Gamecocks will be in his top two for sure. Schoenwald would like to make his decision before his season as his school goes for a third consecutive straight state championship. He’s looking at the end of July or early August for that.
▪ Offensive lineman OL Austin Donaldson (6-4 310) of Stockbridge, Ga., GA hopes to use camps this summer to earn major offers. Right now he has offers from West Georgia, The Citadel and Buffalo. One of his stops this month will be to USC.
▪ Running back RB Lavonte Valentine of Melbourne, Fla., is one of the fastest athletes in Florida, and he has narrowed his list to a final seven of USC, Kentucky, Southern Cal, Notre Dame, Louisville, Florida and LSU. Valentine said USC recruiter Bobby Bentley was down to check on him a couple of weeks ago, and he continues to have a good relationship with the Gamecocks.
▪ USC is showing interest in quarterback QB Carter Bradley (6-3 195) of Jacksonville, Fla. Bradley has offers from Pitt, Wisconsin, Rutgers, South Florida, Cincinnati, Marshall and FAU.
▪ DL Raiqwon O’Neal of Conway recently added an offer from Rutgers. USC continues to contact him and wants to see him in camp. For other visits this summer O’Neal is looking at Louisville, Rutgers, Central Florida, West Virginia, Penn State, Mississippi State, Purdue and Navy.
▪ USC was by Lancaster this last month check on LB Markees Watts (6-2 210). He has offers from Middle Tennessee, Charlotte, Charleston Southern, Appalachian State, James Madison, Troy, Mercer, Wofford, Elon, SC State and Gardner-Webb. Kentucky and Virginia Tech also have been in.
▪ DE Dorian Gerald of Florence and College of the Canyons is home for summer break and he will visit USC Monday. USC is in his top 12 along with Texas A&M, Florida State, Florida, Oklahoma, Alabama, Louisville, Syracuse, Georgia, NC State, Tennessee and LSU.
▪ DL Dantrell Barkley of Independence Community College is still on with his visit to USC Wednesday. “A lot of the staff is just excited to get me down here,” he said. He also plans to visit Kentucky and NC State and some others.
▪ USC target OL Warren Ericson of Duluth, GA committed to Georgia.
▪ New USC offers: 2019 linebacker LB Brandon Smith of Louisa, Va.; 2019 linebacker Nakobe Dean of Horn Lake, Miss.; 2019 defensive back DB Collin Duncan of Montgomery, Ala.; 2019 defensive lineman DL CJ Clark of New London, N.C.; 2020 defensive end Jamil Burroughs of Powder Springs, Ga.