Offensive lineman Wyatt Campbell of Lugoff-Elgin High is ready to end his recruiting.
Campbell (6-5 285) plans to announce his commitment to either South Carolina, Virginia Tech and N.C. State around 1 p.m. Thursday. Before going public with his decision, Campbell wanted to compete for an offer Wednesday in front of offensive line coach Robbie Caldwell at Clemson’s camp.
“I did pretty good,” Campbell said. “It wasn’t perfect but I think I did pretty well. Coach Caldwell told me he was real proud of me, the young man I am and how I’ve developed over the years he’s been recruiting me. He said he knows it’s a business and when schools’ spots starting filling up, you have to take them. He said they’ll be offering more people in July but I’m not going to wait that long.”
In fact, Campbell already has made his decision and is a silent comment to one of his three finalists. And he’s very comfortable with his decision.
Never miss a local story.
“Just my got feeling, what my gut told me,” he said. “Praying and thinking about it, I just think it’s the right spot.”
Campbell visited Virginia Tech Saturday and he was at USC last Friday for a camp and was offered after his performance there. He visited N.C. State earlier in the spring. Campbell said he can play guard or tackle in college.
▪ DB Trey Dean Hampton, Ga., will not make any USC camps this month but he plans to visit again at some point. USC is among his favorites and he continues to communicate regularly with Will Muschamp and Travaris Robinson.
“They’re just checking up on me and they want me to commit,” he said. “They are on my list. They produce DBs.”
Alabama, Georgia, Texas and Michigan also are on Dean’s to list. Dean has not taken any visits and has none planned at this point. He does not have a favorite and he will announce July 31.
▪ South Pointe DB Steven Gilmore Jr. picked up an offer from North Carolina Wednesday while at a camp in Chapel Hill. The Tar Heels join USC, Georgia, Duke, Louisville and East Carolina on his offer list.
The UNC camp was his first of the summer. He doesn’t have any other visits set right now but he wants to visit all of his offering schools and expects to get to USC at some point this summer.
He said he’s in touch with Travaris Robinson and Bobby Bentley from USC and the Gamecocks like him for corner. Gilmore said he doesn’t have any favorites and he will announce on his birthday Sept. 17.
▪ USC offered 2019 QB Garrett Shrader of Charlotte.
▪ DB Nate Thompson of Sanford, N.C., has USC in his top 5 along with Duke, NC State, Virginia Tech and Syracuse.
▪ USC offered DE Greg Rousseau of Hialeah, Fla., a Miami commit.
▪ USC offered 2019 DE Braylen Ingraham of Fort Lauderdale.
▪ DE Dantrell Barkley of Independence Community College (Kansas) said his commitment announcement is coming soon, perhaps any day. USC, NC State, Colorado and Colorado State are four of his top schools.
▪ Notable campers at USC Wednesday included LB Channing Tindall of Spring Valley and DB Jaycee Horn of Alpharetta, Ga.