South Carolina’s 2015 recruiting class remains under assault.
Defensive end Arden Key’s decommitment Tuesday night was the eighth overall and seventh since October from a class that at one time was ranked inside the top five nationally. (The group is now No. 16 in the 247Sports Composite ranking.)
Who have the Gamecocks lost?
... DE Chauncey Rivers on Feb. 15
... LB Davon Durant on Oct. 21
... OL Austin Clark on Nov. 2
... DB Jaire Alexander on Dec. 7
... OL Paris Palmer on Dec. 11
... OL Jozie Milton on Dec. 13
... DB Mark Fields Jr. on Dec. 16
... DE Arden Key on Jan. 6
Now, there’s still hope for them to salvage Key. But the rest have moved on.
Even when Gamecock commitments are not decommitting, they are giving their fanbase ulcers. On Tuesday night DE Shamiek Blackshear put out a tweet that he was now considering Florida State. A few minutes later he tweeted that it was just a joke.
Still, the Gamecocks are not out of the woods yet.
On Tuesday night, offensive lineman Christian Pellage told the Florida 247Sports site that he will take an official visit with the Gators. Pellage is scheduled to visit USC on Jan. 23. His Florida visit will be either the weekend before or the weekend after.
Pellage isn’t the only Gamecock commitment the new Florida staff is after. Last week they offered defensive end Quandeski Whitlow, and he scheduled an official visit to Florida for Jan. 30. He also has a visit to Louisville set for Jan. 17.
Defensive back commitment Damon Arnette was offered by Michigan on Tuesday and told 247Sports he will visit there officially Jan. 16 along with previously scheduled trips to USC on Jan. 23 and Ohio State on Jan. 30.
Of course, while others are pecking away at USC’s class, the Gamecocks are doing the same as they have visits set with players committed to other programs.
It all adds up to a wild ride for the Gamecocks and their fans from now until National Signing Day on Feb. 4.