New South Carolina coach Will Muschamp is in catchup mode in recruiting, especially when it pertains to early graduates.
One of those is wide receiver Samuel Denmark of Hanahan High, who was offered Tuesday by Muschamp during a meeting at his school. Denmark has been committed to Virginia Tech since February but is willing to give Muschamp and company a listen.
“It was surprising because it’s so late in the process and because I’m already committed and everything,” Denmark said of the offer. “I’ll hear what they have to say. They’re trying to get me up there this weekend before I go to the Shrine Bowl. I’ll talk to my parents about it and see how their schedule is.”
Denmark said he and Muschamp met for about 40 minutes and the two seemed to hit it off, but his commitment position with the Hokies hasn’t changed.
“He said he liked what he saw on my film,” Denmark said. “He’s a good guy. I’m still 100 percent with Tech since I’ve been with them the longest.”
New Virginia Tech coach Justin Fuente visited Denmark and his family last week. “I like him,” he Denmark said.
Other USC notes
▪ Class of 2017 QB Jake Bentley of Auburn, Ala., the son of new USC running backs coach Bobby Bentley, currently favors Stanford. He also has offers from Georgia, Miami, Wake Forest and Vanderbilt. USC could offer at some point. This season Bentley passed for 2,834 yards, 28 touchdowns and 8 interceptions.
▪ Conway coach Chuck Jordan said Will Muschamp’s in-home visit with WR Bryan Edwards on Monday “went well. He (Muschamp) has been around the block,” Jordan said. Muschamp has known Edwards for several years, having offered him in the ninth grade. Edwards will take his official visit to USC this weekend. His coach said he believes he is leaning one way between USC and Clemson, but wouldn’t disclose which way.
▪ USC visited with DB Troy Pride of Greer on Tuesday. He has had an offer from the Gamecocks. “It was nice, he’s a great guy,” Pride said of Will Muschamp. He said he did not know if he will visit this weekend.
▪ USC commitment OL Lloyd Cushenberry has set an official visit to Mississippi State for Jan. 22. He’s expecting USC to visit this week.
▪ USC LB target T.J. Brunson of Richland Northeast High was offered Tuesday by Purdue.