South Carolina has made defensive ends Tyreek Johnson of Lakewood High and Brad Johnson of Pendleton High two of its major in-state targets for the 2017 class.
Tyreek has been close to a commitment for weeks. Brad is not as close but is very interested. (The two Johnsons are not related.)
Georgia Tech offered Brad Johnson last Saturday and, according to Pendleton coach Paul Sutherland, North Carolina will do so when he visits. He also has offers from Wake Forest, Duke, Colorado State, Miami of Ohio and Rutgers.
As for USC, Sutherland said the Gamecocks remain very active with Johnson.
Never miss a local story.
“He’s dying to get to Columbia when his track schedule and class schedule allow,” Sutherland said. “They want him to visit this Saturday. He’s not really been on the USC campus and that’s what he really wants to do. That South Carolina staff, it’s a different world there now regarding recruiting. If they are recruiting everyone as hard as they are recruiting Brad, they are busting tail. They are showing the most interest.”
Sutherland said the Gamecocks like Johnson as a Buck linebacker.
Johnson has also visited Georgia Tech, Duke and Wake Forest along with USC. He’s getting lots of mail from Clemson where he’s viewed as an inside linebacker.
“Their (Clemson) words are ‘be patient,’ ” Sutherland said, adding that Johnson wants to have a definite plan in place as he heads into the summer.
Tyreek Johnson will be in Columbia on Saturday, but it will be for the state weightlifting championships at White Knoll High. His coach, Brian Jackson, said he might get over to USC after that, but if not the next weekend might work depending on his mother’s schedule.
“He’s still gung ho on USC,” Jackson said.
Coastal Carolina is Jackson’s only other offer at this point but Duke did call last week. Jackson has said Johnson is all set to commit to the Gamecocks when he can get on campus.
Douglas shuffles top schools
Clemson was one of the eight schools offensive Eric Douglas of Charlotte listed as one of his favorites earlier this month. But Douglas said this week he hasn’t heard from the Tigers in several weeks and has removed them from that list. His top schools are South Carolina, Penn State, Florida, Maryland, NC State, North Carolina, Missouri and Cal.
Douglas has not taken any recent visits and is just starting his spring football workouts. He is going to Maryland March 26 and to Penn State March 28 during his spring break. He has no other visits planned and is not sure which spring game he’ll attend April 9.
Douglas said he continues to hear daily from USC, with Will Muschamp, Shawn Elliott and Bobby Bentley keeping the contact hot.
“It’s pretty much the same thing, telling me they need me,” Douglas said.
He’s not sure when he’ll make his decision.
▪ Former Clemson WR Demarre Kitt of Tyrone, Ga., said via Twitter that he’s been talking with USC recruiter Bryan McClendon. Kitt left Clemson after the 2014 season. He is now at of Ventura College in California.
▪ DB Steven Montac of Coffeyville Community College (Kansas) will visit TCU this weekend. He was at USC earlier this week.
▪ QB Braxton Burmeister of La Jolla, Calif, will visit USC on March 22 for a spring practice and an unofficial visit. He was offered Thursday by Oregon State.
▪ RB Sheldon Evans of Norcross, Ga., will visit USC Saturday. He was offered Thursday by Appalachian State.
▪ DE Bryan Jones of Baton Rouge, La., was offered Thursday by USC. He has 28 offers.
▪ USC Thursday offered 2019 RB Devyn Ford of Stafford, Va.