Defensive end Tyreek Johnson of Lakewood, who has been on commitment watch for South Carolina for several weeks, plans to make two trips to Columbia this week.
He’s coming in Thursday without his parents to watch practice, so he doesn’t plan to commit then. He’s returning for Saturday’s practice with his parents, and it’s then that he’s planning to make his pledge to Will Muschamp.
Johnson (6-4, 245) has maintained it is important to him to have his parents with him when he commits.
As junior at Lakewood High, he had 21 tackles for loss and 10 sacks.
Never miss a local story.
Douglas focuses on five
USC OL target Eric Douglas of Charlotte has not yet made his decision but he has cut his list down to five.
“South Carolina, Florida, Maryland, Penn State and North Carolina is where the focus is,” Douglas said. “I have seen what I needed to see from all the schools. I’ll make my decision in a few weeks. It will just happen when it happens. They are all pretty much even.”
Douglas is coming off recent visits to Maryland and Penn State. He’s been to USC multiple times and is in constant contact with Muschamp and offensive line coach Shawn Elliott. Douglas said he’s also in daily contact with the coaches from his other four teams. He said he’s not sure which upcoming spring games he might attend.
News and notes
▪ DB Lummie Young of Westside will visit North Carolina Saturday and Duke Sunday. If possible, he will also make a stop at NC State while on Tobacco Road.
▪ DE Brad Johnson of Pendleton was at USC’s practice last Saturday and the Gamecocks continue to recruit him the hardest. He is going to Mississippi State this Saturday. Georgia and Florida are also increasing their interest and North Carolina is close on an offer as well.
▪ DB Tre’ Shaw of Ellenwood, Ga., released a top 10 list on Wednesday. In no order he has USC, Clemson, North Carolina, Auburn, Georgia, Michigan, Florida, LSU, Tennessee and NC State. Shaw said these are the 10 schools recruiting him the strongest.
▪ WR Austin Connor of Dutch Fork will be at USC’s practice Thursday. Georgia is a new offer and he said he might visit there April 9 instead of competing in a track meet.
▪ Class of 2018 QB Kereon Joyner of Fort Dorchester visited USC Tuesday.