Golf: Carr leads team in final round of SEC tourney
04/19/2010 12:54 AM
04/19/2010 12:55 AM
At Tuscaloosa, Ala., senior Corrine Carr shot the best round of her collegiate career with a bogey-free, 4-under 67 on Sunday to lead USC in the final round of the SEC women’s championship at NorthRiver Yacht Club.
The Gamecocks shot 4-over 288 on the day to finish in seventh place at 15-over 867 overall.
The Gamecocks’ team score of 288 was its second time in three rounds to shoot their best team total of the year and ties for the fourth-lowest score in team history, equaling a second-round effort in the 2006 Dick McGuire Intercollegiate.
Alabama, playing as the tournament host, won its first SEC title. Vanderbilt’s Marina Alex defeated Tennessee’s Erica Popson in a two-hole playoff for tournament medalist honors as both finished at 5-under 208.
15. Katie Burnett 72-70-72214 (+1)
20. Benedicte Toumpsin 68-72-77217 (+4)
T21. Corrine Carr 76-75-67218 (+5)
T28. Amanda Strang 74-74-72220 (+7)
T44. Taylor Barrett 75-74-78227 (+14)
Final Team Standings
1. Alabama 287-278-283848 (-4)
2. Vanderbilt 284-281287852 (E)
3. Arkansas 280-288-291859 (+7)
4. Georgia 280-291-289860 (+8)
5. Auburn 289-288-284861 (+9)
6. LSU 284-290-292866 (+14)
7. South Carolina 289-290-288867 (+15)
8. Mississippi 284-298-294876 (+24)
9. Tennessee 298-291-288877 (+25)
10. Florida 298-300-291889 (+37)
11. Kentucky 302-296-308906 (+54)
12. Mississippi State 309-301-315925 (+73)
Join the Discussion
The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.