Mix of clouds and sun early in the day, clouds moving in later. High 77
• A day after being penalized a stroke for slow play, Chinese teenager Guan Tianlang had A birdie-less 77 (225 total). Guan, the youngest player in Masters history, has gone 36 consecutive holes without a birdie, the last one coming on the 18th hole of the first round.
• Rory McIlroy had a 7-over 79 that took him out of contention. Seems like that happens to him every year at the Masters.
• After Friday’s winds, things calmed way down. But the dry conditions are setting up greens that promise to be fast and treacherous today.
• Brandt Snedeker and Jason Day were models of consistency, both opening their rounds with 12 consecutive pars. Snedeker went one way — to the lead — after that, while Day went the other way — into a tie for fourth.
• If Tiger Woods, who was docked two strokes for an illegal drop, loses by one or two shots, there’s going to be quite the uproar. The fact that he’s still in contention — down by four strokes — is pretty amazing, given that he gave up those two shots.
Bernhard Langer, describing his even-par round 72, which included one birdie and one bogey
“Right, which is weird.”
Bubba Watson, when asked if he knew a television viewer called in to say Woods had made an illegal drop