In the aftermath of Monday's bombing in Boston, PGA Tour and the Sea Pines officials on Tuesday said security measures are in place to protect fans, players and staff during this week's RBC Heritage Presented by Boeing golf tournament.
Although neither would share specifics, both stressed that the event is safe.
"We always take security seriously," said Cary Kelley, executive vice president of Community Services Associates, which handles security in Sea Pines. "We are approaching this like we do every year, which is, we want everyone that comes here to have a great time and to be safe."
"I am not going to talk about specific security measures that we take, but believe me, that we take every appropriate measure that we can to ensure the security of our fans, players and staff and to make sure everyone has a great time, because that is what we are here to do," he continued.
Never miss a local story.
Kelley spoke to reporters Tuesday afternoon near the 18th Hole, which has seating for hundreds of spectators within sight of the Harbour Town Lighthouse.
John Bush, the PGA Tour's media official at the event, sent a written statement to media earlier in the day.
"While we do not comment specifically on security measures, we continually work with our security advisors from the tour and law enforcement to improve upon and implement procedures that ensure the safety of our fans, athletes and volunteers and we will continue to do so," he said.
The Heritage runs through Sunday at Harbour Town Golf Links. The golf tournament begins Thursday.
Follow reporter Casey Conley at twitter.com/IPBG_Casey.