WITH WINTER sports underway, here is a look at South Carolina’s top 10 wrestling programs of the past decade. My rankings are based on points from the traditional state tournament and bonus points for teams that were Dual State champions and Dual State runners-up.
1. Eastside (Class 3A): Winners of five straight 3A championships from 2005-2009 and winners again the past two years. The Eagles have the program that everyone strives to be like.
2. Chesterfield (1A-2A): Winners of five state titles in the past decade. Unfortunately, a team hasn’t been fielded in years. Let’s hope things change and we get one of our traditional power houses back.
3. Summervile (4A): The Greenwave have three state titles in the past decade. But last season’s finals appearance was its first since 2008. Could they return to greatness in 2015 with two returning state champs?
4. Bambert-Ehrhardt (1A-2A): After being the runners-up in 1A and 2A a few times to the Chesterfield Rams, the Red Raiders stood atop the podium for a three-peat from 2011 to 2013.
5. Rock Hill (4A): The Bearcats are the defending state champs and return a solid lineup. They have had two state championship teams and four runners-up appearances in the past decade
6. Lexington (4A): The Wildcats have triumphed in 2013 and have had three other finals appearances in the past decade.
7. Loris (1A-2A): Three state titles in four years (2007-2010) and producing NFL talent like Tig Willard cannot be ignored as this is one of the top 1A-2A teams of the past decade.
8. Fort Dorchester (4A): The Patriots were state champs in 2007 and 2010. But legendary coach BD Laprad has been gone a few years.
9. Hillcrest (4A): One of seven teams to win a 4A state title and the third team in history to win back-to-back titles. The Rams look to get on track in 2015.
10. Lugoff-Elgin (4A): A power in Class 3A, with its last state title in 2010. The Demons look to find their footing in 4A.