Josh Lindsey’s long-distance love affair continued on Friday as the junior hit five 3-pointers on his way to a game-high 25 points for North Myrtle Beach in a 62-46 win over visiting Carolina Forest.
Lindsey hit six 3-pointers in a win over West Brunswick (N.C.) on Tuesday and has scored a combined 51 points in his last two games.
Senior guard Jaquan Grissett added 22 points for the Chiefs, who improved to 6-1.
North Myrtle Beach coach Frank Moorhead called the win his team’s most complete effort of the season.
Never miss a local story.
“This is the first game where I’ve thought we’ve had everybody play well and a little more consistently,” Moorhead said. “…We feel like if we can shoot the ball well and step up our defense, we can be a pretty decent team.”
The Chiefs shot and defended well early on. Lindsey hit three 3-pointers en route to a 13-point first quarter, and North Myrtle Beach held Carolina Forest without a field goal for a span of 7 minutes and 20 seconds while going on a 17-2 run to open up a 13-point lead with just under seven minutes left in the first half.
After trailing by 19 at the half, the Panthers cut into the lead in the third, getting with 7 on a Donovan Williams jumper in the lane with 3:43 to go in the third.
“You’re going to have a few possessions where you don’t score, so you’ve got to stop the other team. You’ve got to realize that as a team, and get down, play some [defense], get a rebound and take care of the ball,” Moorhead said.
Carolina Forest (1-5) was led by Jawan Butler’s 11 points. Isaac Wathen added 10 points and Ryan Yuracheck had a game-best nine rebounds along with eight points.
– Zavier Jones 5, Chris Johnson 3, Parker Nelgerson 6, Ryan Yuracheck 8, Isaac Wathen 10, Donvoan Williams 3, Jawan Butler 11
– Cameron Gore 1, Josh Lindsey 25, Jeff Vereen 1, Jaquan Grissett 22, Delonzo Williams 2, Matt Lindsey 3, Forrest Vereen 3, Marshawn Scott 5
• 3-point goals: Carolina Forest 2 (Jones 1, Nelgerson 1), North Myrtle Beach 7 (J. Lindsey 5, Grissett 1, M. Lindsey 1). Team fouls: Carolina Forest 24, North Myrtle Beach 20. Fouled out: Johnson (Carolina Forest). Technical fouls: None.
Records: Carolina Forest 1-5, North Myrtle Beach 5-1
NMB girls improve to 6-0
•(At) N. Myrtle Beach 49, Carolina Forest 38
| India Farmer had a game-high 24 points and 15 rebounds for the Chiefs as they improved to 6-0.
Both teams struggled on offense. The Panthers shot 34.2% from the field in the game, while North Myrtle Beach shot 33.3%.
The Chiefs were 10-for-35 from the field (28.6%) in the first half, but still managed to take a 26-22 into halftime.
The teams combined for 65 turnovers.
•CAROLINA FOREST (38)
– Cheyenne Pyles 10, Ashley Cole 2, Christina Wright 3, Marisa Runyon 5, Ashleigh Turner 7, Jalah Horton 4, Alexis Tomlin 1, Kia Brisbon 6
•NORTH MYRTLE BEACH (49)
– Sarah McCloskey 2, Ja’Quella Livingston 4, Taylor Allman 13, Indian Farmer 24, Marci Chestnut 4, Laquiesha Stanely 2
• 3-point goals: Carolina Forest 1 (Brisbon). Team fouls: Carolina Forest 16, North Myrtle Beach 14. Fouled out: Turner (Carolina Forest). Technical fouls: None.
• Records: Carolina Forest 2-7, North Myrtle Beach 6-0