The Socastee boys wrestling team suffered an unsatisfactory 40-28 loss Wednesday to Hanahan in the final round of the Lower State bracket, and have been eliminated from the tournament.
“Obviously it’s disappointing to lose,” Braves coach Jeff Gibbins said. “I feel like we had the better team. I was disappointed in our performance. Wrestling is about mental edge and if you have it, you can come out on top. But if you don’t have the mental edge, you can’t win. We couldn’t hang with those guys and we came up short.”
Despite a loss, Gibbins believes his team could learn from the experience and it could help his wrestlers in the Lower State Individual tournament.
“There is a positive amongst the whole trip is because we can lern from it,” Gibbins said. “We got to wrestle through this week, while most teams are sitting at home. So we can take that – over the next two weeks – and get prepared for the indiviudals. It’s a big tournament.”
Never miss a local story.
Hanahan reached the state finals and will face the winner of Belton Honea-Path and Eastside on Feb. 9 at Dreher High School.
“It’s definitely a difficult pill to swallow,” Gibbins said, “especially when we’re right in the middle of two tournaments. The gears have kind of changed. But, we’ll get back to our individuals and hopefully we can come away with some wins.”
106-Justin Nipper, SOC, dec. Devin Hatchell, H, 10-3; 113-Tyler Talaco, H, dec. Jordan Hodge, SOC, 13-7; 120-Elijah Wortham, H, major dec. Logan Gammon, SOC; 126-Mikel Nelson, SOC, major dec. Kenneth Coker, H, 9-1; 132-JJ Johnson, H, fall. Corey Mai, SOC, 1:38; 138-Haven Horleback, H, major dec. Cameron Amann, SOC; 145-Bryan Joseph, H, pin. Sam McKinney, SOC, 2:38; 152-Darielle Flores, H, pin. Tom Leggette, SOC; 1 60-Tommy Lazaroff, SOC, dec. Forrest Bowman, H, 6-2; 170-Brent Maddox, H, pin. Aiden Amani, SOC 1:26; 182-Matt Otera, SOC, wins by forfeit; 195-Dennis Flores, H, pin. Zach Mor, SOC; 220-Joe Smolenski, SOC, default over Brandon Young, H; Heavyweight-Kyle Burton, SOC, pin. Anthony Colliver, H.
High school girls basketball
• Aynor 44, (at) Loris 42 | Brooke Barfield poured in a game-high 20 points, Ayana Deas scored 17 and Aynor edged the Lions.
• AYNOR (44) – Brooke Barfield 20, Ellie Griffin 4, Hannah Roberts 2, Ayana Deas 17, Jasmin Mitchell 1.
• LORIS (42) – J. Bellamy 4, R. Bellamy 4, Jackson 10, Gill 9, Littlejohn 5, Phillip 10.
• 3-point goals: Aynor (None); Loris 2 (Jackson, Littlejohn). Team fouls: Aynor , Loris. Fouled out: Aynor –C. Nash, Grifiin. Technical fouls: Loris–2.
• Records: Aynor 10-10 (2-8), Loris N/A (1-9).
• Conway 44, (at) South Florence 33 | Dakira Chadmon cored 11 points and 5 rebounds, as the Tigers get the win over South Florence on Monday.
• CONWAY (44) – Ashiera Williams 6, Dakera Chadmon 11, Janecia Hemingway 4, Brianna Steele 10, India Vereen 2, Alia Austin 7, LaShonda Green 4.
• SOUTH FLORENCE (33) – Laticia Knight 8, Shantaja Barnes 7, Ashley Briggs 16, Zakia Douglas 1.
• 3-point goals: South Florence 4 (Briggs 3, Barnes); Home (Players). Team fouls: Conway 11, South Florence 23. Fouled out: Wilson. Technical fouls: None.
• Records: Conway 7-13, South Florence N/A.