Thursday’s area sports briefs
02/07/2013 10:39 PM
02/07/2013 11:17 PM
SOCASTEE St. James is still alive.
But the Sharks still have work to do.
The St. James boys basketball team defeated Socastee 57-44 on Thursday night to set up a postseason play-in game with Georgetown on Friday night.
The Sharks won and the Bulldogs lost – 65-51 against Wilson – to set up a play-in game to tip off at 7 p.m. Friday at neutral site North Myrtle Beach. The winner gets the fourth spot out of Region VII-AAA.
“St. James came out in a big rivalry tonight. They held their own against tough Socastee team, and I’m real proud of them,” Sharks coach Monty Carr said. “We were very fortunate to get victory with how solid Socastee played.”
Caleb Duggan had a game-high 23 points and Nehemiah Stafford added a boost with 14.
“Luckily, Nehemiah Stafford hit four 3s, two in the fourth that helped us out. Duggan only missed one free throw all night, going 9-10 at the free-throw line to keep us in the lead late in the second half,” Carr said.
ST. JAMES (57) – Caleb Duggan 23, Nehemiah Stafford 14, Heywood Brandon 6, Matt Strange 5, Dakota Holmes 3, Jackson Hurston 3, Russ Sansbury 2, Tyrell Dukes 1.• SOCASTEE (44) – Will Caswell 16, Adarius McCray 14, Dakota Morgan 4, Finn Melko 4, Dante Moore 3, Dylan Thompson 1, Daquan Brown 1, Erik Mortel 1.
• Records: St. James 15-9, 5-5; Socastee 7-14, 1-9
High school boys basketball• (At) Hemingway 61, Carvers Bay 59 | Stephon Hannah scored 15 but it wasn’t enough as the Tigers got the win.
• CARVERS BAY (59) – Shayton Durrand 7, Shaquan Durrand 9, Nigel Gamble 11, RaShaun Dorsey 6, Chris Carter 1, Donovan Brown 2, Lewis Morant 2, Stephon Hanna 15, Darius Willimas 6.
• HEMINGWAY (61) – Kevin Washington 5, Dominic Scott20, Donovan Kinsey 10, Demetrius Hampton 7, Josh McKelvey 2, Marcus Hampton 4, Phillip Williams 9, Jermaine Frierson 2, Joshua Kinsley 2.
High school girls basketball
St. James 39, (at) Socastee 36 | Bethany Goodrich (14) and Hannah Price (11) both scored double digits for the Sharks in a win over the Braves.
Socastee’s Blake Smith scored 14 and Kirsten Zanardo scored 10 in the loss.• ST. JAMES (39) – Taylor Seagle 2, Kimmy Hotzelt 6, Kelsi Bachmann 2, Hannah Price 11, Eldreona Hannah 4, Bethany Goodrich 14.
• SOCASTEE (36) – Blake Smith 14, Saysay Grant 2, Kira Bell 6, Sydney Wortham 3, Sierrah McCarthy 1, Kirsten Zanardo 10
• Records: Socastee 5-5, 14-10 VII-AAA
Golf demo day
GARDEN CITY BEACH Indian Wells Golf Club is hosting a Nike Golf Equipment Demo Day beginning at 8:30 a.m. Friday. Nike company representatives will be present to introduce the Nike Covert Driver and other products, and special demo day greens fees are available. Call the Indian Wells pro shop at 843-651-1505 for more information.