Nolin Butler hit 12 of 14 free throws and finished with a game-high 27 points to lead Myrtle Beach over Orangeburg-Wilkinson 60-51 in the second round of the Class AAA Lower State playoffs.
As a team, the Seahawks were 17-of-20 from the charity stripe on the game and Butler was 11-of-12 in the fourth quarter alone.
“We got to get the ball to the right guy,” Myrtle Beach coach Craig Martin said. “Our kids have been in a lot of tough situations this year. The kids just kept their composure and were making shots when they needed to make them.”
As for the Bruins, they were a meager 5-of-21 from the free throw line. Tashombe Riley led Orangeburg-Wilkinson with 15 points and Lorenzo Riley added 12 points.
With the win, the Seahawks advanced to play Darlington in the Lower State semifinals on Tuesday at home.
“We knew going into the game [Orangeburg-Wilkinson was] big and athletic,” Martin said. “We planned on getting after them. They did a good job of slowing us down. We had a lot of kids step up. Every guy we called tonight went in and played well tonight.”
Mason Lewis added 13 points for Myrtle Beach.
• 3-point goals: Myrtle Beach 6 (T. Lewis, Butler 3, M. Lewis 2). Team fouls: Myrtle Beach 18, Orangeburg-Wilkinson 21. Fouled out: T. Riley. Technical fouls: None.
High school boys basketball
•(At) Carvers Bay 56, Military Magnet 35
| Da’Shaun Aiken had a game-high 28 points to lead Carvers Bay over Military Magnet in the second round of the Class A Lower State playoffs.
The Bears relied on a stifling defense and built a 38-23 lead heading into the fourth quarter. With the win, they will next play Johnsonville.
Shaquand Durrand was the only other Carvers Bay player to score in double figures with 10.
Scott Hollis led Military Magnet with 10 points.
• 3-point goals: Military Magnet 1 (Archie); Carvers Bay 3 (Linnen, Shay. Durrand, Shaq. Durrand). Team fouls: Military Magnet 21, Carvers Bay 18. Fouled out: K. Woods, D. Moore. Technical fouls: None.
High school girls basketball
– Zaria Snipes 13, Nabresha Hughes 6, Dejoria Howard 4, Kiara Mitchell 4, Shay Jackson 3, Sade Johnson 6, Vondria Ritter 11, Sau’kita Glover 9
•MYRTLE BEACH (41)
– Kyeria Anderson 2, Nia Sumpter 5, Nakia Black 7, Tasha Chestnut 2, Christina Myers 13, Tanisha Brown 12
Oduwole also had five steals.
• 3-point goals: CAMB 1 (Butler). Team fouls: CAMB 14. Fouled out: None. Technical fouls: None.
• The Coastal Carolina softball dropped a pair of games in the USF Tournament, falling 5-2 to the Bulls and 8-0 to Tennessee.
Cacia Pierre had three hits in the first game and posted the only hit in the nightcap as the Vols’ Erin Gabriel dominated on the mound.