Two area players have been named to the North-South All-Star Basketball rosters, released Tuesday evening.
Conway forward Reggie Bonner will play for the boys’ south team, while Socastee forward Blake Smith will suit up for the girls’ south squad. The games will be played March 16 at Lexington High School. The girls will tip off at 3 p.m., and the boys will follow at approximately 5 p.m.
Bonner, who transferred to the school from Sumter prior to this season, averaged 15 points and 9.5 rebounds for the Tigers. He was named the Region VI-AAAA player of the year and to the Class AAAA All-State team.
Smith recovered from a dislocated elbow to lead Socastee to the third round of the Class AAA playoffs. Despite missing several games early with the injury, she averaged 14 points and 10 rebounds per game this season for the Braves.
Never miss a local story.
Coastal Carolina men’s golfer Easton Renwick shot two career-low rounds and won a three-way playoff by sinking a 30-foot putt on the third hole at the Charleston Shootout, played Monday and Tuesday at the par-72, 6,756-yard Links at Stono Ferry.
Also shooting 216 and participating in the playoff were Clemson’s Hayden Garrett (76-67-73) and College of Charleston’s John Duke Hudson (74-68-74).
Renwick, a former Socastee High student, carded a career-low, 4-under-par 68 in the opening round Monday, tying for sixth-best single round on the CCU single round and tying for the fourth-best overall round. The sophomore played a portion of his second round Monday before darkness halted play. He finished his second round Tuesday with a 1-under par 71, which tied his previous best-career round.
Kevin Vanden Heuvel joined Renwick as Coastal’s only other participant at the Charleston Shootout. The junior tied for 39th with a 12-over par 228 (77-74-77).
•Furman 4, (at) Coastal Carolina 1
| Coastal Carolina continued its woes, falling to Furman in the first of a two-game series.
Tyler Wood picked up the win as he tossed five scoreless innings and struck out two.
The Chanticleers plated their only run in the seventh inning, coming on a Zach Remillard RBI groundout.
•(At) No. 6 South Carolina 10, Ball State 0
| Freshman Jack Wynkoop retired the first 16 batters he faced and was backed by an offense that pounded out 14 hits as the Gamecocks routed the Cardinals.
High school softball
• (At) Aynor 4, Green Sea Floyds 0 | Shelby Cox went 2-for-4 with two RBIs, Shelby Culler hit a solo home run, and the Blue Jackets shut out the Trojans.
• W–Shelby Culler (1-0). L–Hope Elliott (0-1). Top hitters – GSF: Brooke Elliott 1-3. Aynor: Culler 2-4, HR; Shelby Cox 2-4, 2 RBI; Hannah Seaver 1-3, RBI.
• Records – Aynor 1-0, Green Sea Floyds 0-1.
• Conway 5, (at) Myrtle Beach 0 | Sydny Howell fanned the first nine Myrtle Beach batters en route to 18 strikeouts as the Tigers shut out the Seahawks.
• W–Sydny Howell (3-0). L–Angel Hatzidakis (0-1). Top hitters – Conway: Madison Gore 2-4, 1B 2B run, Haylee Owens 2-3 2 1B, Sydny Howeel 1-3 1B 2 runs scored, Katie Edwards 1-4 2B run scored, Breanna Van Deusen 1-4 1B, Brandye Huggins 1-3 1B. Myrtle Beach: C. Krutchfield 1-3 1B, M. Compton 1-2 2B, S. Bethle 1-3 1B.
• Records – Conway: 4-1, Myrtle Beach 0-1.
High school girls soccer
• (At) Carolina Forest 6, St. James 3 | The Panthers’ Riley Lynch scored two goals and had an assist as the Panthers got the win over the Sharks. Meagan Fludgate also had two goals and Erica Gazzani and Katelyn Perry each had one for Carolina Forest.
G oals – CF: Riley Lynch 2, Meagan Fludgate 2, Erica Gazzani, Katelyn Perry. STJ: N/A.
G oalkeepers – CF: Allie Ethridge (1), Taylor Gazzani (3).
Records – Carolina Forest 2-1-1, St. James N/A.
High school boys lacrosse
•Socastee 17, Carolina Forest 0
| At Myrtle Beach, Jiovany Rendon had four goals and three assists and goalkeeper Joe Williams had two saves en route to a shutout as the Braves cruised past the Panthers at The Market Common.
Nick Boriello had three goals and one assist, Clay Byers and Mike Alessi had two goals and one assist apiece, and Wayne Bauerle had two goals for Socastee. Jojo Richards and Matt Chatfield each had one goal and one assist, and Noah Vieira and James Heddinger had one goal each for the Braves.
Socastee 2-2, Carolina Forest 0-3