MYRTLE BEACH Joseph Wilson won the 100 (10.87) and 200 meters (21.68) and helped the 1,600-meter relay team to a win to highlight a solid day for the Coastal Carolina men’s and women’s track and field teams in the Coastal Carolina Invitational at Doug Shaw Memorial Stadium.
The relay team – which also featured DeAndra Lipscomb, Matthew Lights and Deion Wellington – ran 3:15.29.
Lipscomb also took first in the 400 (48.52) and Lights won the 400 hurdles (53.33).
The women had the top five finishers in the 100 meters as Darriale Henley won (12.00), Qwontajah Thompson was second (12.07), followed by Teka Simpson (12.23), Ruby Durham (12.23) and Gabrielle Lee (12.30).
Never miss a local story.
Ashley Davis won the 100 hurdles (13.93) and Jessica Gelibert won the 400 hurdles (1:00.05). The 1,600-meter relay team – Thompson, Camille Hurley, Sharmaine Barnes and Gelibert – won in 3:47.91.
Other CCU men with top-5s were: Ronnie Jackson (100m, fourth, 11.01); Lipscomb (200m, fourth, 22.07); Wellington (200m, fifth, 22.22; 400m, fourth, 49.19); Ryan Beckley (800m, fifth, 1:56.86); Desmond Wallace 110m hurdles, second, 14.50); Carrington Fernandors (110m hurdles, fifth, 15.24); Fernandors (400m hurdles, fifth, 56.39); Wesley Edwards (high jump, second, 6-83/4); Reggie Nelson (high jump, third, 6-83/4); and JaDarrell Barnette (triple jump, second, 47-93/4).
Other women with top-5s were: Thompson (200m, second, 24.54); Simpson (200m, third, 24.94); Jessica Gelibert (100m hurdles, third, 14.19); Hurley (100m hurdles, fifth, 14.57); Simpson (high jump, third, 5-5); and Raven Hamilton (high jump, fifth, 5-3).
The Coastal Carolina softball team cruised to a pair of victories, beating Middle Tennessee State 10-0 and Georgetown 6-0.
Kiana Quolas allowed three hits in a complete game and Morgan Mastriania tossed a three-hit shutout in the nightcap.
CCU men’s tennis
• James Madison 4, (at) Coastal Carolina 3 | Yusuke Kusuda (No. 2) and Garik Yedigarian (No. 3) had singles victories in the loss.
CCU women’s tennis
• (At) Coastal Carolina 5, Gardner-Webb 2 | Kortney Kowal (No. 3), Shelby Bates (No. 4), Alicia Robinson (No. 5) and Dominique De Wit (No. 6) each posted singles victories.
High school baseball
• Mauldin 14, Conway 3 | At Georgetown, Grant Holmes drove in all three of the Tigers’ runs in a losing cause at the International Paper Classic.
Conway’s G.K. Young won the home run contest on Friday night.
• W–G. Templeton. L–M. Rabon.
• A.C. Flora 5, St. James 1 | Trent Revis had a double and Zach Sanders drove in the Sharks’ lone run as the offense stalled at the International Paper Classic.
• W–J. Hudgens. L–Dillon LeDuc.
• Greenville 4, (at) Georgetown 3 | Greenville rallied for three runs in the bottom of the seventh to edge the Bulldogs in the International Paper Classic.
• W–C. Scolamiero. L–R. Holcombe.
• (At) Gilbert 14, Aynor 4 (5) | The Indians scored 12 runs in the fifth inning to cut the game short and put away the Blue Jackets. Graham Harrington went 1-for-3 at the plate with two RBIs in the loss.
• W–S. Kuntz. L–Zack Richardson (0-1). Top hitters – Aynor: Dylan Bagnell 1-2, Nathan Peeples 1-2, Graham Harrington 1-3 2 RBIs, Zack Richardson 1-3. Gilbert: R. Knowles 2-4, M. Spires 3-4, J. Williams 2-4.
Records – Aynor: 2-1.
• Aynor 5, (at) Pelion 4 | Brandon Young went 2-for-2 to lead the Blue Jackets to a win in their second game of the day.
• W–Jordan Poston (1-0). L–B. Holderness. S–Tyler Lewis (1). Top hitters – Aynor: Brandon Young 2-2, Zack Richardson 1-3, Jordan Poston 1-3, Graham Harrington 1-4, William Ward 1-4. Pelion: A. Kneece 3-3, R. Allen 2-4, B. Holderness.
Records – Aynor: 3-1
• (At) North Myrtle Beach 14-4, Hannah-Pamplico 2-3 | The Chiefs swept the Raiders in a doubleheader.
• W–B. Pippa. L–Ryan Mays. Top hitters – HP: Mays 1-3 R; Drew Welch 1-2 RBIs; Vic Cooper 1-2 RBIs. NMB: Genovese 2-3; Miller 3-3 4 RBIs.
• W–Cooper. L–Whit Pangua. Top hitters – HP: Mays 1-2, Welch 2-4. NMB: Wilkie 2-3 Cooper 2-3; Gause 2-3.
High school softball
• (At) St. James 3-7, Darlington 1-2 | Casey Betts had six strikeouts in a three-hit shutout in Game 1, and Alexis Gunnell struck out one while limiting the Wildcats’ bats again to finish off the sweep in Game 2.
• W–Casey Betts (1-0). L–R. Sherrill. Top hitters – Darlington: H. Gainey 1-2; H. Clark 1-2, RBI. St. James: Kelsi Bachman 1-2; Noel Cassidy 2-2.
Records – St. James 2-0.
• W–Alexis Gunnell (2-0). L–B. Yarborough. Top hitters – St. James: Morgan Marlowe 1-3, RBI, run; Hayley Reigel 1-2, RBI, run; Noel Cassidy 2-3, RBI, run. Darlington: C. Yarborough 2-2, run; J. Richardson 1-3, RBI.
Records – St. James 3-0.
• Clemson 7, (at) North Carolina State 4 | Thomas Brittle hit a grand slam to lift the Tigers past the Wolfpack.
• (At) South Carolina 9, Rider 5 | Connor Bright and Joey Pankake homered to lead the Gamecocks to a win.