NORTH AUGUSTA The Coastal Carolina women’s golf team had three players finish in the top 10 and all five of its performers placed in the top 16 en route to a win Sunday in the six-team Purdue Mount Vintage Invite.
The Chants shot a final-round 22-over 310 to hold off Iowa State by a stroke with a 46-over 910 total.
Coastal’s Frida Castillo (75) tied for fifth (226), Brittany Henderson (79) took eighth (228, Jessica Alexander (77) placed ninth (229), Marissa Hinchman (79) was 12th (234) and Lena Schaeffner (84) tied for 16th (237) at Mount Vintage Plantation Golf Club.
Never miss a local story.
The Coastal Carolina softball team concluded the Chanticleer Challenge with a final-day split, losing 2-0 to James Madison before beating Middle Tennessee State by the same score.
Ashley Bagwell struck out four and allowed just three hits in 61/3 innings to win the second contest. Sara Rasley had the Chants’ lone RBI for the day.
CCU men’s tennis
• (At) Coastal Carolina 6, Gardner-Webb 1 | Coastal’s Nos. 1-4 players Yusuke Kusuda, Leo Christofides, Garik Yedigarian and Matias Di Pasquale and Hunter Whalen (No. 6) earned singles victories.
• (At) North Carolina State 4, Clemson 1 | Jake Fincher went 4-for-4 and scored three runs and pinch-hitter Sam Morgan drove in two runs on a double as the Wolfpack (12-4, 1-2 ACC) avoided a series sweep.
Shane Kennedy and Maleeke Gibson each had two hits for the Tigers (9-5, 2-1), who stranded 10 runners on base.
• (At) South Carolina 1, Rider 0 | Nolan Belcher struck out seven in seven scoreless innings and Tyler Webb pitched a pair of scoreless innings en route to earning a save as the Gamecocks finished off a sweep.
The pitching duo made Joey Pankake’s solo home run stand up as the only run of the game.
High school baseball
• Lexington 7, St. James 2 | At Georgetown, Carter Brakefield doubled twice and drove in a run, but the Sharks fell in the International Paper Classic.
• W–C. Williamson. L–T. Revis.
• Mauldin 10, (at) Georgetown 1 | The Bulldogs failed to get an extra-base hit in a loss in the International Paper Classic.
• W–C. Ridgeway. L–C. Thompson.
• A.C. Flora 6, Conway 5 | At Georgetown, the Tigers’ rally came up short in the International Paper Classic.
• W–B. Cromer. L–B. Johnson.
• (At) Socastee 6, Carolina Forest 5 | Finn Melko went 3-for-4 with two RBIs, and Dalton Smith went 2-for-3 with a double and an RBI in the win Saturday. Carolina Forest’s Robert Jolly went 3-for-4 in the loss.
• W–Kyle Smith (1-0). L–Thomas Harrelson (0-1). Top hitters – Carolina Forest: Robert Jolly 3-4. Socastee Finn Melko 3-4 2 RBIs, Dalton Smith 2-3 2B RBI.
Records – Carolina Forest: 2-5, Socastee 4-2.