CAROLINA FOREST Ryan Case shared medalist honors with two other players after shooting 1-under 35 on Monday en route to leading the Socastee High School boys golf team to a narrow victory over Carolina Forest and Myrtle Beach at Myrtle Beach National’s West Course.
Carolina Forest’s Cole Swezey and Myrtle Beach’s Mark Karavan also shot 35s.
Team scores – Socastee 151, Carolina Forest 153, Myrtle Beach 154
SOCASTEE – Ryan Case 35, Jeb Bennett 37, Zack Hickman 39, David Dudleck 40
CAROLINA FOREST – Cole Swezey 35, Ben Roleson 37, Bailey Endres 40, Enzo Farrar 41.
MYRTLE BEACH – Mark Karavan 35, Michael Leftis 38, John Gooden 39, Koehler Karavan 42.
Course – Myrtle Beach National – West Course. Par – 36.
High school boys golf
Aynor’s Johnson Holliday finished second Saturday in the 4th Annual Panther Invitational boys golf tournament at The General Jim Hackler Golf Course at Coastal Carolina.
Holliday shot a 70, finishing three strokes behind Pinewood Prep’s Richard Hubbard.
Myrtle Beach’s Mark Karavan (72) took fourth and Carolina Forest’s Bailey Endres (78) and Georgetown’s Evan Runion (78) tied for ninth to round out area top-10 finishers.
Socastee’s Jeb Bennett (79) tied for 12th and Georgetown’s Carter Weaver (80), Aynor’s Spencer Cannon (80) and Socastee’s Zack Hickman (80) tied for 16th. Carolina Forest’s Cole Swezey and Enzo Farrar and Socastee’s David Duleck all shot 81s tied for 22nd to round of area players in the top 25.
Travis Gunter shot 2-over 38 to lead the Tigers to a win over the Bulldogs. Gunter shared medalist honors with Georgetown’s Carter Weaver.
Team scores – Conway 159 , Georgetown 162
CONWAY – Travis Gunter 38, J.J. Stanley 39, Dalton Richardson 40, Will Ray 42.
GEORGETOWN – Carter Weaver 38, Evan Runion 39, Will Marlowe 42, Henry Young 43.
Course – Wedgefield Plantation. Par – 36.
High school baseball
• Conway 13, (at) Carolina Forest 3 | G.K. Young went 3-for-5 with three RBIs and got it done on the mound as the Tigers pounded the Panthers.
• W–G.K. Young (1-0). L–Cullin Marcis (N/A). Top hitters – Conway: Young 3-5, 2B, 3 RBI; Ross Mccord1-2, 2B, 3 RBI; Wilson Mishoe 3-4. Carolina Forest: Robert Jolly 4-4; Ryan Yurachek 1-4.
• Records – Conway 4-2, 1-0 Region VI-AAAA; Carolina Forest 2-5, 0-1 Region VI-AAAA.
High school softball
• (At) Latta 9, Conway 0 | Ashlyn Hardwick went 2-for-3 with two doubles, but the Tigers fell to the Vikings.
• W–Anna Rodgers (N/A). L–Breanna VanDeusen (1-2). Top hitters – Conway: Ashlyn Hardwick 2-3, 2 2B; Madison Gore 1-3; Haylee Owens 1-2, BB. Latta: C. Owens 3-3, Rodgers 1-3.
• Records – Conway (4-3, 0-1 Region VI-AAAA), Latta (N/A).
CCU women’s lacrosse
•Coastal Carolina 17, (at) Howard 11
| Nine Chanticleers scored en route to the squad’s second victory of the season.
Paige Timberg and Rachel Ferrara each had three goals, and Jenn Koss, Caitlin Kratzer, Kimmy DeLonge and McKynsey Douglas each had two for Coastal (2-5).
• Coastal Carolina center fielder Jacob May was named the Big South Player of the Week and sophomore left-hander Ben Smith was selected the Big South Pitcher of the Week.
May, who is riding a six-game hitting streak and batting .527 over the span, batted .533 with eight hits to lead Coastal Carolina to a 3-2 record last week, including a current three-game win streak.
Smith struck out a career-high nine batters in a career-best 61/3 shutout innings in Sunday’s win over Ohio State.
• Coastal Carolina pitcher Kiana Quolas was named the Big South Conference Pitcher of the Week for the second week in a row.
Quolas notched two victories and recorded a 0.81 earned-run average in three starts during last week’s Chanticleer Challenge to earn her sixth career conference pitcher of the week honor. She pitched complete-game shutouts in Coastal Carolina victories over Georgetown and Middle Tennessee State to extend her streak of consecutive scoreless innings to 37 before it was stopped in Sunday’s game against James Madison.
The sophomore right-hander allowed just two runs and 10 hits while striking out 11 in 171/3 innings over the three games. She also had a home run, two doubles, two RBIs and three runs scored.
Myrtle Beach Speedway
• ATMC-TV will air a feature on Myrtle Beach Speedway called “Myrtle Beach Speedway Comes Alive in 2013” at 12:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. beginning Saturday. The feature will air every Saturday and Sunday at the same times through April 14. ATMC-TV is only available through ATMC Cable and online at ATMCTV.com.
The show features the history of the speedway, the events that will be featured there in 2013, some of the drivers and other special events the track has held.
• The Pro All Star Stars (PASS) will be racing at Myrtle Beach Speedway on Saturday. The touring Super Late Model series will compete in the “Bash at the Beach” at the .538 asphalt track.