Monday’s area sports briefs
03/18/2013 8:29 PM
03/18/2013 10:55 PM
The Socastee boys soccer team keeps on rolling.
The first-ranked Braves edged ninth-ranked St. James 1-0 on Monday for their eighth win in a row.
Dimitris Leftis scored the lone goal as he kicked in a loose ball in the box early in the first half to give Socastee a 1-0 lead and both teams played through a stalemate the rest of the way.
G oal – SOC: Dimitris Leftis.
G oalkeepers – SOC: Ryan Sutton (4), SJ: Haywood Brandon (7).
Records – St. James 5-3, 0-1, Socastee 8-0, 1-0.
High school boys soccer• (At) North Myrtle Beach 5, Loris 0 | Jeremy Sopa had two goals and Martin Frager, Chance Smith and David Graham had one each in the win.
Cameron Sopa, Matteo Montana, Logan Williford and Martin Frager each had assists for North Myrtle Beach (3-3).
High school girls soccer
• (At) North Myrtle Beach 7, Loris 0 | Ashley Robinson and Nicole Epifanio each had two goals to lead the Chiefs.
Goals – Ashley Robinson 2, Nicole Epifanio 2, Hannah Rowles, Nicole Crowl,Lauren McCarthy
Assists – Brielle Buis 2, Ashley Robinson, Courtni Hyatt
Saves – Katie Carr 1
Record: 3-1; 1-0 in region
High school baseball
• (At) Carolina Forest 5, South Florence 1 | Hayden Rothenburg went 4-for-4 with two stolen bases and an RBI, Robert Jolly went 2-for-3 with an RBI, and the Panthers took down the Bruins.
Cullen Marcis (2-2) picked up the win as he struck out three in a complete-game effort for Carolina Forest.
• Records – South Florence (N/A, 0-4), Carolina Forest (4-7, 2-3).
• (At) Socastee 9, West Brunswick 5 | Zach Hyde scored three runs and drove in two on a triple, Dylan Thompson went 1-for-3 with a solo homerun as the Braves ran past the Trojans.
• Records – Socastee 7-4, West Brunswick 5-3.
• (At) Wando 4, St. James 2 | The Sharks came up short against the Warriors.
High school boys tennis
• (At) Marion 7, Mullins 0 | The Swamp Foxes shut out the Auctioneers.
Singles – Tyler Williams (Marion) d. Ephram Utley 6-0, 6-0; Matt Williams (Marion) d. Preston Lauyans 6-1, 6-0; Zi Huang (Marion) d. Keenan Leonard 6-1, 6-2; Anunay Pulukuri (Marion) d. Tejohn Lloyd 6-0, 6-0; Justin Turner (Marion) d. Justin Harley 6-4, 6-1.
Doubles – T. Williams/M. Williams (Marion) d. Utley, Lauyans 7-5, 6-3; Gabriel Thomas/Brandon Sanders (Marion) d. Stone Pulley/Rashaun Rush 6-0, 6-0.
Records – Marion 3-0, Mullins 1-3.
Join the Discussion
The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.