Wednesday’s area sports briefs
03/20/2013 9:50 PM
03/20/2013 10:30 PM
The pain was well worth it for Ryan Yurachek on Wednesday.
The Carolina Forest baseball standout was hit by a pitch in the top of the ninth inning, a play that brought in the game-winning run in a 10-9 come-from-behind victory over South Florence.
Yurachek had three doubles and drove in two other runs and Cameron Cobble homered and scored three times for the Panthers (5-7, 3-3 Region VI-AAAA).
High school softball
• Green Sea Floyds 6, (at) North Myrtle Beach 2 | Morgan Elliot went 2-for-2 and supplied two RBIs and a home run as the Trojans got the win over the Chiefs.
Records – Green Sea Floyds: (3-4, 2-1) North Myrtle Beach: 5-6
High school boys golf
• St. James 159 , Georgetown 161 | Evan Runion shot even-par 36 to earn medalist honors, but the Bulldogs fell short.
St. James 159 – Mason Richardson 39, Lyle Ciardi 39, Ryan Krum 40, Karston Kenley 41.
Georgetown 161 – Evan Runion 36, Carter Weaver 38, Will Marlowe 43, Henry Young 44.
Course – Wedgefield. Par – 36.
• Aynor 155, Socastee 155, Loris 180, Marion 223 | The Blue Jackets’ Johnson Holliday and the Braves’ Zach Hickman shot 1-over 37s to share medalist honors as Socastee and Aynor tied for the team lead.
Aynor 155– Johnson Holliday 37, Spencer Cannon 37, Chase Johnson 39, Hunter Johnson 42.
Socastee 155 – Zach Hickman 37, Brady Lane 38, David Dudleck 40, Nick Blake 40.
Loris 180 – Hunter Bell 44, Austin Soles 45, Houston Harrelson 45, Austin Prince 46.
Marion 223 – Phillip White 46, Caleb Cook 57, Brent Lee 59, Chad Martin 60.
Course – Burning Ridge. Par – 36.
High school boys tennis
• Conway 4, (at) St. James 3 | The Tigers got the best of the Sharks.
Singles – Jeffrey Dayton (STJ) d. Luke Campbell 6-0, 6-0; Ethan Smith (C) d. Crit Gore 6-0, 6-0; Spencer Causey (C) d. Kyle Burkhart 6-1, 7-5; Sawyer Jordan (C) d. Joseph Martinez 3-6, 6-3, 10-5; Cannon James (C) d. Thomas Leonard 7-5, 6-3.
Doubles – Andrew Fickland/Hayden Zemke (STJ) d. Drew Smih/Marshall Hardy 6-3, 7-5.
Records – St. James: 5-3
High school boys soccer
• St. James 4, (at) West Florence 2 (PK) | The Sharks edged out the Knights after the game was forced to be decided by penalty kicks.
Goals – STJ: Quadarius Grate WF: Matt Talsky.
G oalkeepers – STJ: Haywood Brandon (8). WF: Brandon Rybak (12).
Records – St. James: (6-3, 0-1)
• Conway 6, Aynor 1 | Gustavo Contreras scored two goals as the Tigers got the win.
Goals – C: Ashton McCants, Christian Castro, Dylan Jenkins, Gustavo Contreras 2, Thorn Skipper.
G oalkeepers – C: Brett Williams (2).
High school girls soccer• Aynor 2, (at) Conway 0 | Katie Altman had two goals as the Blue Jackets improved to 2-3.
Goals – A: Katie Altman 2.
G oalkeepers – C: Leah Stetter.
Records – Conway: 2-1
High school boys lacrosse
• (At) Socastee 11, Academic Magnet 8 | Nick Boriello (4) and Giovany Rendon (3) each had a hat trick as the Braves took down the Raptors.
Goals – S: Clay Byers 2, Nick Borriello 4, Giovany Rendon 3, Jojo Richards, Wayne Bauerle. L: Christian Alberg 4, Matthew Alberg 2.
G oalkeepers – S: Joe Williams (10). H: name here (saves).
Records – Socastee: 4-3, Academic Magnet of Charleston: 6-2
CCU women’s tennis
• (At) Coastal Carolina 5, Campbell 2 | Libby Scott (No. 1), Kortney Kowal (No. 4), Alicia Robinson (No. 5) and Dominique De Wit (No. 6) posted singles victories for the Chants (8-6, 4-1 Big South).
• Coastal Carolina 3, (at) Longwood 0 | Kiana Quolas hit a solo home run and tossed a five-hit shutout on the mound as the Chants (16-11, 3-0 Big South) swept the Lancers.
Join the Discussion
The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.