Jake Kane was walked with the bases loaded and one out in the top of the 12th inning and Ryan Connolly picked off a batter in the bottom of the frame to complete a 3-2 win over VMI on Friday.
Ted Blackman led off the 12th with a single and got to second on a sacrifice bunt. Colin Hering was hit by a pitch and Will Remillard walked, leaving the bases loaded for Kane to give the Chants (14-1, 3-1 Big South) a lead.
In the bottom of the frame, the Keydets were threatening with runners on the corners. However, Connolly’s pickoff attempt forced Michael Donovan into a rundown in which he was tagged out to end the game.
The teams play a doubleheader beginning at 1 p.m. Saturday to conclude the three-game set.
Never miss a local story.
• (At) South Carolina 6, Texas A&M 4 | St. James High graduate Tanner English went 3-for-4 with a pair of RBIs and the Gamecocks jumped out to a big early lead en route to a win over the Aggies.
English capped a five-run first inning with a two-run double. LB Dantzler, Connor Bright and Grayson Greiner also drove in runs in the inning.
Texas A&M chipped away at the lead with runs in the fourth, seventh (2) and ninth, but came up short.
The Aggies stranded the potential tying runners on base as Krey Bratsen struck out looking to end the game.
Nolan Belcher struck out nine and allowed two earned runs in 81/3 innings to pick up the win on the mound.
Tyler Webb allowed a pair of hits but struck out two to finish off the game and earn a save.
CCU women’s golf
Coastal Carolina’s Brittany Henderson was named the Big South Golfer of the Week after her league-best third-place finish at the Briar’s Creek Invitational.
The weekly honor is the second for Henderson this season (Feb. 16) and the third of her career.
Henderson led Coastal Carolina to a third-place team finish in the 18-team field at the Briar’s Creek Invitational that included six teams ranked in the Golfstat Top 50. The senior placed third in the 96-competitor field, carding a score of 5-over 71-74-76–221.
CCU men’s tennis
• Coastal Carolina 6, (at) Longwood 1 | Leo Christofides, Yusuke Kusuda, Garik Yedigarian, Ted Nilsson and Hunter Whalen picked up singles victories as the Chanticleers (9-5, 6-0) remained perfect in Big South play.
CCU women’s tennis
• Coastal Carolina 4, (at) Wofford 3 | Alicia Robinson won a third-set tiebreaker over Mareli Sanchez in the deciding match as the Chants improved to 9-7.
• Coastal Carolina 7-7, (at) Gardner-Webb 2-3 | The Chanticleers got out to be leads in a pair of contests en route to sweeping a doubleheader.
Cacia Pierre drove in three runs and Kiana Quolas allowed two hits in five scoreless innings to lead the Chants in Game 1.
In Game 2, Pierre drove in three runs and Kory Hayden plated to lead Coastal (20-12, 7-1 Big South), which has won eight of its last nine contests.
High school baseball
• (At) Loris 4, Waccamaw 0 | Ryan Bellamy went 2-for-3 as the Lions got the win over the Warriors.
• W–Tanner Chock (3-1). L–Justin Colgrove (3-1). Top hitters – Waccamaw: JD Whitlock 1-4. Loris: Austin Hoard 2-4, Ryan Bellamy 2-3.
Records – Loris: 4-3, 3-3
High school boys lacrosse
•(At) Hilton Hea d 16, Socastee 5
| Nick Borriello scored a hat trick, but the Braves came up short in a loss against the Seahawks.
Goals – S: Nick Borriello 3, Giovany Rendon, Tim Young.
G oalkeepers – S: Joe Williams (17).
Records – Socastee: 5-5