Carolina Forest’s Lisa Pieterse fell, but she sure got up.
The Panthers’ standout runner cruised to a win in the 3,200 meters Saturday in the ninth annual Beach Run at Doug Shaw Memorial Stadium despite falling during her trot.
“I think this was a big win because of the competition,” Sandra Henson said of Pieterse, who finished in 11:46.14. “I saw her afterwards and I said ‘oh, good job.’ She said she did good, but her time wasn’t that good. She actually fell and still finished the race. Saw some of the race, but didn’t get to see her win. Her knee was all bruised up and bloody.”
Waccamaw’s Grace Barnett was the other area winner, taking first in the 1,600 meters (5:07.95). She also took third in the 800 (2:23).
Never miss a local story.
Pieterse also took seventh in the 1,600 (5:25.65).
Other area girls with top-10s were: Waccamaw’s Amelia Jones (3,200, fifth, 12:16.04); Myrtle Beach’s Nadia Geathers (400 hurdles, seventh, 1:12.59); Carolina Forest’s Christina Wright (400 hurdles, eighth, 1:12.73); Carolina Forest’s Michelle Blanding (400 hurdles, ninth, 1:12.88); St. James’ Heather Jewell (pole vault, sixth, 9-0); Waccamaw’s Leanne Thompson (shot put, seventh, 32-8); Carolina Forest’s Ashleigh Turner (shot put, eighth, 32-6); and Carolina Forest’s Erin Farley (discus, 10th, 89-1).
The Warriors’ 3,200-meter relay team – Mckenzie Arnold, Amelia Jones, Kristina Chandler, Barnett – finished fourth (10:22.59) and the team placed 10th.
Area boys with top-10s were: Waccamaw’s J. J. Sherman (200, sixth, 23.11; 400, third, 50.88); Carolina Forest’s Davante Carter (400, sixth, 52.57); St. James’ Billy Krier (800, fourth, 2:02.79; 1,600, third, 4:24.87); Waccamaw’s Robert Jones (800, seventh, 2:06.67); Carolina Forest’s Jesse Patrick (1,600, 10th, 4:42.47); North Myrtle Beach’s Marshawn Scott (110 hurdles, seventh, 15.80); Myrtle Beach’s Jack Montgomery (400 hurdles, second, 56.41); Carolina Forest’s Jawan Butler (high jump, tied for fifth, 5-10); St. James’ Donnie Tucker (pole vault, fifth, 10-6); North Myrtle Beach’s Tresman Davis (pole vault, tied 10th, 9-6); St. James’ Conner Brown (shot put, eighth, 44-51/4); Aynor’s Landon Smith (discus, 10th, 122-8); and Carolina Forest’s Shamiem Hemingway (hammer throw, seventh, 75-9).
CCU women’s track and field
• The Coastal Carolina women’s track and field team set two school records at the 21-team Auburn Tiger Invitational.
The 1,600-meter relay team – Jessica Gelibert, Qwontajah Thompson, Camille Hurley, Erica Peake – set a new Big South record in 3:38.24 and Gelibert took fourth in the 400 hurdles in a school-record 58.64).
Other top-10s for CCU were: Gelibert (100 hurdles, ninth, 14.04); Christina Davis (400 hurdles, eighth, 1:00.36; 100 hurdles, 10th, 14.07); Peake (200, fifth, 23.51); Shelby Nicosia (1,500, sixth, 4:33.22); Jessica Dennison (3,000, eighth, 10:19.92); Thompson (400, fifth, 54.74); Anjulia Nicholson (discus, 10th, 141-5); Tiffani Kuhn (javelin, eighth, 121-9); and Amirah Al-Bayyinah (triple jump, 10th, 39-21/4).
The Chants’ 400-meter relay team – Peake, Darriale Henley, Latesha Simpson, Thompson – was fourth (45.33).
CCU men’s track and field
• AUBURN, Ala. The Coastal Carolina men’s 1,600-meter relay – DeAndra Lipscomb, Corey Hackett-Greene, Russell Kanner, Deion Wellington – finished fourth 3:13.64, the school’s fastest time since 2007 at the Auburn Tiger Invitational.
The Chants’ 400-meter relay team – Ronnie Jackson, Joseph Wilson, Eric Brown, Hackett-Greene – was fifth (41.20). Individually, Wilson was 10th in the 100 (10.68), Kanner was ninth in the 400 hurdles (52.81)Wesley Edwards was sixth in the high jump (6-83/4), Reggie Nelson was seventh in the high jump (6-63/4), and Jordan Roach was fifth in the discus (163-8).
High school baseball
•(At) Carolina Forest 7, West Hill 6
| Justin Nunez went 2-for-4 with two RBIs and got the game-winning hit in the bottom of seventh inning as the Panthers got the win over West Hill on Friday.
• W–Hayden Rothenburg (1-0). L–Carieski. Top hitters – Carolina Forest: Justin Nunez 2-4, 2 RBIs, Kyle Belak 1-3, RBI, Ryan Flynn 1-4, RBI.
Records – Carolina Forest: 9-9
• (At) St. James 7, Canfield (Ohio) 0 | Trent Revis struck out 10 in five scoreless innings, Anders DeShields had three hits and Branden Pugliese drove in three to lead the Sharks on Friday.
• W–Trent Revis. L–Leone. Top hitters – St. James: Anders DeShields 3-3, 2Bs, run, RBI; Branden Pugliese 2-2, 3 RBIs; Carter Brakefield 1-2, RBI, run.
• (At) Carolina Forest 16, St. Edmund’s (NY) 7 | Cameron Cauble went 2-for-2 as the Panthers got the win over St. Edmund’s (NY) in the Mingo Bay Tournament.
• W–Dylan Roberts (1-0). L–Lupo. Top hitters – Carolina Forest: Hayden Rothenberg 2-4, Robert Jolly 2-4, Ryan Yurachek 2-4, Cameron Cauble 2-2.
Records – Carolina Forest: 10-9
High school softball
• Waccamaw 11, (at) Hannah-Pamplico 2 | Riley Morris went 4-for-4 with a triple and three runs scored as the Warriors defeated Hannah-Pamplico in the 16th annual Waccamaw Invitational Tournament.
• W–Hallie Butler (9-2). L–Lauren Prosser. Top hitters – Waccamaw: Riley Morris 4-4, 3B, 3 runs, Hallie Butler 2-4, 2B, Leah Boghosian 2-4. Hannah-Pamplico: S. Sanders 1-3, 3B, run, M. Miles 1-2, run.
Records – Waccamaw: 17-3
High school boys soccer
• (At) Carolina Forest 3, Ridge View 2 | Michael Brooks, Ian McIlrath and Sebastian Perez scored goals, Javier Monroy and Kevin O’Meara had an assist each, and Paul Blayton had nine saves in goal for the Panthers.