OXFORD, Miss. Jessica Alexander set a Coastal Carolina record with an 8-under 208 total to earn medalist honors and lead the Chanticleers to a victory Sunday in the M&F Bank Rebel Intercollegiate at Ole Miss Golf Course.
Alexander capped her record tournament with a 1-under 71 to win by five strokes. CCU shot a final-round 290 en route to a 1-under 863 for a nine-stroke victory.
The Chants’ Brittany Henderson (71) finished fourth (213), Lena Schaeffner (73) tied for 14th (220), Frida Castillo (75) tied for 19th (222) and Marissa Hinchman (81) finished 77th (236).
CCU men’s golf
Never miss a local story.
Sebastian Soderberg birdied the fifth playoff hole to defeat Central Florida’s Greg Eason to earn medalist honors in the Insperity Augusta State Invitational at Forest Hills Golf Club.
Soderberg (66) and Eason (69) finished the final round tied at 7-under 209.
The Chanticleers tied for 10th as a team, firing a final-round 7-over 295 to finish at 23-over 887, 24 strokes behind winner Texas.
CCU’s Andrew Dorn (77) tied for 33rd (222), Ben Wheeler (73) tied for 45th (225), Peter Valasek (79) was 70th (233) and Easton Renwick (82) tied for 71st (235).
• (At) Coastal Carolina 8, Liberty 6 | Colin Hering hit a grand slam to highlight a five-run first inning to lead the Chanticleers past the Flames at TicketReturn Field at Pelicans Ballpark, CCU’s 19th straight victory over Liberty.
Hering drove in another in a three-run second as the Chants staked to an 8-2 lead before holding on the rest of the way.
• South Carolina 19, (at) Tennessee 2 | Max Shrock and Grayson Greiner each drove in four runs as the Gamecocks (26-7, 8-4 SEC) had a season-high 21 hits in completing a sweep over the Volunteers.
Conway High product Colby Holmes earned the win in relief, allowing two runs – one earned – on two hits while striking out three in five innings.
• Clemson 1, (at) Boston College 0 | Matthew Crownover and Matt Campbell combined on a four-hit shutout as the Tigers won the rubber tilt of a three-game set.
Crownover allowed four hits and struck out four in 61/3 innings and Campbell struck out three in 22/3 hitless innings.
CCU women’s lacrosse
• Winthrop 10, (at) Coastal Carolina 8 | Alyssa Blevins had four goals and the Eagles outscored the Chants 2-0 over the final 7:31 to earn the victory.
Rachel Ferrara had four goals for CCU (4-9, 1-3 Big South).
• Radford 4, (at) Coastal Carolina 2 | The Highlanders strung together all four runs in the second inning en route to a win over the Chants (23-15, 10-4 Big South) in the rubber game of a three-game set at Carolina Forest High School.
CCU men’s tennis
•Coastal Carolina 5, (at) Liberty 2
| Yusuke Kusuda, Garik Yedigarian, Ted Nilsson, Matias Di Pasquale and Hunter Whalen earned singles victories to lead the Chants (10-5, 6-0 Big South).
CCU women’s tennis
• Coastal Carolina 6, (at) Presbyterian 1 | Libby Scott, Shelby Bates, Alicia Robinson, Kortney Kowal and Dominique De Wit earned singles victories as the Chants (10-8, 5-2 Big South) cruised.
High school baseball
• (At) St. James 3, Gloucester Catholic (N.J.) 2 | Anders DeShields allowed two runs on two hits and struck out five to lead the Sharks past the Rams on Saturday.
• W–Anders DeShields. L–John Murphy. Top hitters – Gloucester: Tim Holder 2-2, RBI. St. James: Trent Revis 2-3, 2B; Carter Brakefield 2-3; Branden Pugliese 1-3, RBI; Brock Gallagher 1-3, RBI.
• (At) St. James 10, Charleston Catholic 1 | Zach Cook allowed one unearned run on two hits in five innings and struck out two and the Sharks lineup lit up the scoreboard in a win Saturday.
• W–Zach Cook. L–Connor Golden. Top hitters – Charleston Catholic: Andy Hoyer 1-3, RBI. St. James: Dillon LeDuc 2-3, 2 runs; Trent Revis 2-4, run; Anders DeShields 2-2, 2 runs; Carter Brakefield 1-4, 2 RBIs, 3 runs; Drake Martin 1-4, 2 RBIs; Zach Sanders 1-4, RBI.