Sydny Howell had a pretty good birthday on Tuesday.
Howell tossed a seven inning no-hitter, striking out 13 and walking two on her birthday to help the Conway softball team defeat West Florence 3-0.
“She was pretty dominant,” Tigers coach Mike Skipper said. “She threw a lot of strikes with her screwball and inside fastballs. She spots the ball very well and she kept them guessing all night.”
Seventh grader Neci Hemingway drove in DeAnna DeLuca and Madison Gore on a three-run home run in the first inning to propel Conway.
Never miss a local story.
“Neci got the big hit,” Skipper said. “She came through with a long ball.”
• W–Sydny Howell (6-3). L–S. Locklair. Top hitters – Conway: DeAnna DeLuca 1-2, BB, R; Madison Gore 1-3, R; Brandye Huggins 1-2; Neci Hemingway 1-3, HR, 3 RBI, run.
Records – Conway 9-8, 2-2 Region VI-AAAA; West Florence N/A, 2-3 Region VI-AAAA.
High school baseball
•(At) Aynor 9, Mullins 1
| Four pitchers combined for a no-hitter and struck out 13 batters to lead the Blue Jackets over the Auctioneers.
Graham Harrington (two innings), Brandon Young (two innings), Dylan Bagnel (two innings) and Kameron Johnson (one inning) were the pitchers that combined for the feat.
• W–Dylan Bagnel (1-0). L–Stroud. Top hitters – Aynor: Graham Harrington 1-1, 2 R; Zack Richardson 1-2, run; Brandon Young 2-4; Quinn Prosser 2-2, run
Records – Aynor 13-3, 6-1 Region VIII-AA; Mullins N/A, 0-7 Region VIII-AA.
•Waccamaw 12, (at) Marion 0 (5)
| Kevin Kies struck out seven in five shutout innings and drove in two runs to lead the Warriors.
• W–Kevin Kies (2-1). L–John Sawyer. Top hitters – Waccamaw: Luke Freeman 2-2, 2 runs; Curtis Lawing 2-3, RBI, 2 runs; Kies 1-2, 2 RBIs, 2 runs.
Records – Waccamaw 18-11 (5-2 Region VIII-AA).
•(At) St. James 7, Georgetown 4
| Drake Martin drove in three runs and Trent Revis drove in two others to lead the Sharks.
• W–Dillon LeDuc. L–Ryan Holcombe. Top hitters – Georgetown: Seth Wall 2-4; Woody Woodell 1-3, 2B, 2 RBIs; Ryan Williams 1-3, 2 runs. St. James: Trent Revis 1-4, 2B, 2 RBIs; Drake Martin 1-3, 3 RBIs.
•Latta 7, (at) Green Sea Floyds 5
| Austin Faulk went 1-for-4 with a home run, but it wasn’t enough as the Vikings got the win.
• W–John Love. L–Austin Wisnowski (2-2). Top hitters – Latta: Jackson Williams 1-3, Travis Power 1-4, Donnell Stanley 1-4, Lennau Berry 1-4. Green Sea Floyds: Austin Faulk 1-4 HR, Austin Wisnowski 1-2, Jared Boatwright 1-3, Shaquille Jordan 1-4, Dustin Berry 1-3.
Records – Green Sea Floyds: 5-7, 1-5
High school girls soccer
•North Myrtle Beach 3, (at) Georgetown 0
| Brielle Buis had two goals, Courtni Hyatt added a score and Kate Carr had three saves to lead the Chiefs.
Myrtle Beach 4, St. James 0 | At Myrtle Beach, four players had one goal each for the Seahawks as they cruised past the Sharks.
Goals – MB: Kathryn Wylie, Tori Zeltner, Cassidy Posma, Bailey Richard
Goalkeepers – MB: Jessica DeForge (2).
Records – Myrtle Beach 7-1
•West Brunswick (N.C.) 4, North Myrtle Beach 3
| Ashley Robinson had two goals and an assist and Brielle Buis had a goal and an assist, but the Chiefs fell short Monday.
Kate Carr had 10 saves for North Myrtle Beach.
High school boys soccer
•North Myrtle Beach 6, (at) Georgetown 1
| Jeremy Sopa had two goals and Christian Buis, Austin Bolton, Austin Taylor and Henry Martinez scored one apiece to lead the Chiefs.
Phillip Webster and Dallas Fields had two assists apiece, while Sopa had one for North Myrtle Beach (5-4, 2-1 Region VII-AAA). Fields had three saves and Eric Baker had one in goal.
High school softball
•Georgetown 6, (at) St. James 0
| The Sharks are on a three-game losing streak following a loss to the Bulldogs.
• W–Taylor Mercer. L–Alexis Gunnell (7-1). Top hitters – GT: J. Gray 2-3, R; Mercer 2-3, RBI; B. Graham 1-3, RBI, R. SJ: Noel Cassidy 2-3, Ali Valcourt 2-3.
Records – GT N/A, 4-3, SJ 13-3, 6-1
•Waccamaw 18, (at) Marion 1 (5)
| McKenzie Lugin allowed one run on two hits for her ninth win of the season as the Warriors downed the Swamp Foxes.
• W–McKenzie Lugin (9-1). L–Pressley Spivey. Top hitters – Waccamaw: Riley Morris 3-3, 3 RBIs; Melaina Moore 3-4, 2B, 4 RBIs; Jordan Lee 1-1, RBI; Emily Heimberger 2-3, 3 R. Marion: Courtney Perkins 1-2.
Records – Waccamaw 18-3, 6-1 Region VIII-AA
(At) Socastee 3, Myrtle Beach 2 | Samantha Larrabee had a go-ahead RBI in the sixth inning on a double, plating Haleigh Ferro, to lift the Braves over the Seahawks. With a St. James loss, the Braves now sit in second place, one game behind St. James in region VII-AAA.
• W–Savannah Talley (4-3). L–Angel Hatzidakis (8-7). Top hitters – Myrtle Beach: J. Gross 2-for-3 with a run scored; K. Mendolia 2-for-3; Cameron Crutchfield 2-for-4 with a run scored. Socastee: Quin Gammon 2-for-3; Rebekah Oakley 1-for-2; Samantha Larrabee 2-for-3 with an RBI.
Rec.: MB: 8-8, 4-3; Socastee 11-8, 5-2.
•(At) South Florence 2, Socastee 1 (Monday)
| Blake Smith’s home run was not enough for the Braves Monday night, as they fell to South Florence on the road.
• W–Pare. L–Savannah Talley. Top hitters – Socastee: Blake Smith 2-for-3 with a home run; Kibibi Thorsen 1-for-2 with double. SF: Pare 2-for-4 with an RBI, Burt went 3-for-3 with a run scored.
High school boys golf
•(At) Conway 173, Aynor 174
| Johnson Holiday earned medalist honors for the Blue Jackets with a 5-over 41, but Aynor fell to the Tigers (3-1) at Shaftsbury Glen.
CONWAY 173 – Dalton Richardson 42, JJ Stanley 43, Travis Gunter 44, Brandon Howell 44.
AYNOR 174 – Johnson Holiday 41, Spencer Cannon 42, Hampton Tiller 45, Walker Johnson 46.
Course – Shaftsbury Glen. Par – 36.
•St. James 160, (at) North Myrtle Beach 168 |
Lyle Ciaridi shot an even-par 36 to earn medalist honors as the Sharks edged the Chiefs at Eagle Nest.
ST. JAMES 160 – Lyle Ciaridi 36, Geoffrey Guyette 40, Karsten Kenley 42, Ryan Crum 42.
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH 169 – Shaun Markarian 40, Daniel Graves 41, Vijay Mishra 41, Collin Reno 46.
Course – Eagle Nest. Par – 36.
•(At) Socastee 157, Carolina Forest 164
| Jeb Bennett shot a 2-over 38 to lead the Braves past the Panthers at Preswtick.
SOCASTEE 157 – Jeb Bennett 38, Brady Lane 39, Ryan Case 39, Zach Hickman 41.
CAROLINA FOREST 164 – Enzo Farrar 40, Ben Roleson 40, Cole Swezey 41, Adam Allen 43.
Course – Prestwick. Par – 36.
High school boys tennis
•(At) Socastee 7, Georgetown 0 |
The Braves shut out the Bulldogs in a Region VII-AAA match.
Singles – Robert Conley (SOC) d. Ben Wilkins 6-0, 6-1; Coste Duvall (SOC) d. Brice Sanders 6-1, 6-0; Noah Johnson (SOC) d. David Stalvey 7-5, 6-1; Josh Davis (SOC) d. Harrison McConnell 6-0, 6-0; Tommy Lazaroff (SOC) d. Jarrett Cooper 6-3, 6-2.
Doubles – Chase Mullin/Levi Altman (SOC) d. Sanders/McConnell 6-2, 6-2; Alex Marinaro/Jannis Queck (SOC) d. Cannon Ballard/Josh Hanser 6-2, 6-4.
Records – Socastee 7-1, 3-0 Region VII-AAA, Georgetown N/A, 1-2 Region VII-AAA.
•Myrtle Beach 5, (at) St. James 1 |
The Seahawks picked up a victory over the Sharks.
Singles – Jeffrey Dayton (SJ) d. Jack Woodward 6-0, 6-0; John Rosner (MB) d. Critt Gore 6-2, 6-2; Jacob Moore (MB) d. Kyle Burkhart 7-6 (7-4), 6-3; Anatoly Polacostro (MB) d. Joseph Martinez 6-2, 6-4; Samuel Skelley (MB) d. Thomas Leonard 7-5, 6-2.
Doubles – Tyler Berkey/Isaac Giddens (MB) d. Andrew Fickland/Hayden Zemke 6-1, 6-3
Records – St. James 5-7, 1-2 Region VII-AAA.
•Clemson 12, (at) Western Carolina 9
| Jon McGibbon was 3-for-4 and drove in four runs and Steve Wilkerson and Tyler Krieger each drove in two as the Tigers (21-11) outlasted the Mountaineers in a slugfest.
•(At) South Carolina 5, The Citadel 3
The South Carolina Warriors will play the North Dallas Vandals at 5 p.m. Friday in Jacksonville in the semifinals of the ABA playoffs’ Final Four.