CHAPEL HILL, N.C. The North Carolina baseball team broke open a pitchers’ duel with two runs in the sixth and three in the seventh en route to a 5-1 win over Coastal Carolina on Tuesday night.
Coastal Carolina sophomore Austin Kerr took a no hitter and 1-0 lead one out into the sixth inning before top-ranked UNC broke through.
Chaz Frank drove in a run on a triple in the sixth to break up the no-hitter and Colin Moran hit a sacrifice fly in the frame to give the Tar Heels the lead.
North Carolina added insurance runs in the seventh en route to ending a nine-game winning streak by Coastal (24-13).
Never miss a local story.
Jacob May had Coastal’s lone run on a homer in the fourth.
• (At) Coastal Carolina 6, Charleston Southern 5 | Kiana Quolas drove in the game-deciding run on a solo home run in the sixth inning to lift the Chants (26-18, 13-5 Big South).
High school baseball
• (At) Aynor 6, Dillon 4 | Quinn Prosser drove in four runs as the Region VIII-AA-leading Blue Jackets held off the Wildcats.
Aynor takes on second-place Waccamaw on Thursday with a chance to clinch the region.
• W–Jackson Wodle (2-0). L–Duncan Callahan. S–Tyler Lewis (2). Top hitters – Dillon: O. McCollum 2-3, run; E. Hayes 1-3, 2 RBIs; W. Bailey 1-4, 2 RBIs. Aynor: Morgan Ward 1-2, 2 runs; Lewis 1-2, 2 runs; Quinn Prosser 2-3, 4 RBIs.
Records – Aynor 14-4 (7-1 Region VIII-AA), Dillon 6-3 Region VIII-AA.
• Myrtle Beach 4, (at) Georgetown 3 (9) | Landon Edwards hit a sacrifice fly in the top of the ninth inning and Brandon Dorsey kept the Bulldogs off the board in the bottom of the frame to ensure the win.
• W–Landon Edwards. L–Taylor Bratcher (2-2). S–Brandon Dorsey. Top hitters – Myrtle Beach: Wilson Wicker 3-4; Griffin Bethle 3-4; Edwards 1-3. Georgetown: Riley Jordan 2-4; Brandon Cribb 2-4; Hunter Graham 1-2.
Records – Myrtle Beach 6-3 Region VII-AAA, Georgetown 9-13 (2-6 Region VII-AAA).
• Waccamaw 21, (at) Mullins 3 | Zac Sparaco hit two home runs and drove in nine runs to lift the Warriors in a rout.
“He’s played well for us,” Warriors coach Jeff Gregory said of Sparaco. “Tonight he just waited back on the ball – it was a small ballpark – and he was able to lift it out of there. He’s a strong kid.”
• W–Jalen Simmons (2-1). L–John Sprankle. Top hitters – Waccamaw: Zac Sparaco 3-4, 2 HRs, 9 RBIs; Curtis Lawing 2-4, 2 RBIs; 3 runs; Justin Colegrove 2-4, HR, 2 RBIs. Mullins: John Ard 1-3.
Records – Waccamaw 14-8 (7-2 Region VIII-AA).
•(At) St. James 8, Wilson 1
| Kasey Crooks matched his brother’s feat on senior night.
The Sharks’ senior pitcher tossed a no-hitter – like his brother, Colby did in 2009 – to lead St. James to a win.
Kasey Crooks struck out six but allowed one run via walks and a sacrifice fly.
“He hasn’t had very many walks, that’s the thing,” Sharks coach Robbie Centracchio said. “He’s had three straight outings without walks. He actually only walked three batters; otherwise he could have ended up with a perfect game.”
Wilson tried several bunts to break up the no-no, but to no avail.
“He had a lot of good defensive plays behind him. He just kept his pitch count down and went right after them,” Centracchio said of Crooks. “I think at one point in time he had three straight innings of six pitches. He had his fastball, curveball and changeup working well tonight.”
• W–Kasey Crooks. L–Trevor Edgerton. Top hitters – St. James: Caleb Duggan 2-4, 2 RBIs, run; Dillon LeDuc 1-3, 2 RBIs, run; Trent Revis 2-2, RBI; Crooks 2-3, RBI; Zach Sanders 1-2, RBI, 2 runs.
Records – St. James 16-5 (8-1 Region VII-AAA).
• Socastee 9, (at) Carolina Forest 1 | Sam McKinney struck out seven batters as the Braves got the win over the Panthers
• W–Sam McKinney( 3-2). L–Cullen Marcis. Top hitters – Socastee: Hunter Renfrow 3-3, 3 runs, Finn Melko 2-4, 2B, 4 RBIs, Zach Hyde 2-3, RBI; Dalton Smith 2-3, 3 RBIs. Carolina Forest: Rothenberg 3-4, run.
Records – Socastee: 17-6.
High school boys tennis
• St. James 6, (at) North Myrtle Beach 1 | The Sharks dropped only one match.
Singles – Jeffrey Dayton (S) d. Kevin Mooney 6-0, 6-0; Josh Andrews (N) d. Crit Gore 6-1, 6-2; Kyle Burkhart (S) d. Stokes McIntyre 6-3, 3-6, 10-3; Joseph Martinez (S) d. Will Panos 7-5, 1-6, 10-6; Thomas Leonard (S) d. Wade Allen 6-1, 6-1.
Doubles – Dayton/Burkhart (S) d. Mooney/Andrews 8-1; Andrew Finnegan/Hayden Zemke (S) d. Alex Weaver/Cody Lee 6-1, 6-1
• (At) Socastee 6, Wilson 1 | The Braves downed the Tigers.
Singles – Kyle Barr (S) d. Arnand Chokshi 6-0, 6-0; Robert Conley (S) d. Zachary Zhao 6-0, 6-1; Coste Duval (S) d. Andrew Halus 6-4, 6-2; Noah Johnson (S) d. Tyler Jackson 6-0, 6-2; Chance Mullin (W) d. Jarrett Russell 6-0, 6-1.
Doubles – Conley/Duval (S) d. Chokshi/Halus 8-0; Tommy Lazaroff/Josh Davis (S) d. Ben Liu/Taveon Haile 6-4, 6-4.
Records – Socastee: (8-1, 4-0)
• Marion 5, (at) Dillon 2 | The Swamp Foxes got the win over the Wildcats.
Singles – Tyler Williams (M) d. Jacob Stagg 6-1, 6-4; Matt Williams (M) d. Darryl Miller 6-2, 6-0; Carlton Graham (D) d. Zi Huang 6-4, 6-2; Anunay Pulukuri (M) d. Eriq Bruce 6-1, 6-0; Myers Hamer (D) d. Justin Turner 6-3, 6-0.
Doubles – Williams/Williams (M) d. Miller/Graham 6-3, 6-4; Marion won No. 2 doubles by forfeit.
Records – Marion: 8-4
High school softball
• (At) St. James 22, Wilson 0 (2) | Hannah Price was 2-for-3 with a home run, two RBIs and three runs scored, Noel Cassidy was 2-for-3 with an RBI and two runs scored, Casey Betts was 2-for-3 with an RBI and Morgan Marlow was 1-for-3 with two RBIs and two runs as the Sharks ran away with the victory in just two innings.
• W–Casey Betts (7-2). L–M. Register. Top hitters – St. James: Hannah Price 2-3, HR, 2 RBIs, 3 runs, Noel Cassidy 2-3, RBI, 2 runs, Casey Betts 2-3, RBI, Morgan Marlow 1-3, 2 RBIs, 2 runs.
Records – St. James: (15-3, 8-1)
• Waccamaw 18, (at) Mullins 0 (5) | Hallie Butler struck out seven in going the distance and drove in four runs at the plate as the Warriors routed the Auctioneers.
• W–Hallie Butler (11-1). L–Ariel Serna. Top hitters – Waccamaw: Emily Heimberger 2-5, RBI, run; Butler 2-3, 4 RBIs; Leah Boghosian 1-2, RBI, 2 runs. Mullins: Kayla Jackson 1-2
Records – Waccamaw 21-3 (8-1 Region VIII-AA), Mullins 0-9 Region VIII-AA.
• (At) Georgetown 1, Myrtle Beach 0 | The Bulldogs squeaked by the Seahawks for the win.
• W–Taylor Mercer (6-6). L–Angel Hatzidakis. Top hitters – Georgetown: Blakely Graham 2-2, Kelly Howard 2-2.
Records – Georgetown: (10-7, 5-3)
High school boys soccer
(At) Myrtle Beach 6, Georgetown 0 | The Seahawks kept the Bulldogs off the board.
Goals – MB: Nick Wunder, Franc Lamcja, Nolin Butler, Helgi Nati, Adolpho Aguilar, Brooks Swanson.
G oalkeepers – MB: Skylar Hribar (1).
Records – Myrtle Beach: 12-2, 4-0.
(At) South Florence 2, Carolina Forest 1 | The Panthers fell short to the Bruins.
Goals – CF: Sebastian Perez
High school girls soccer
(At) Carolina Forest 8, South Florence 0 | Rilie Lynch and Rebecca Cedeño scored two apiece as the Panthers came out on top.
Goals – CF: Rilie Lynch 2, Rebecca Cedeño 2, Danielle Shroeder, Meghan Fludgate, Grayson Perry, Haley Battles.
• (At) Myrtle Beach 5, Georgetown 0 | Tori Zeltner and Shakiyra Peeples scored two goals a piece as the Seahawks got the win over the Bulldogs.
Goals – MB: Tori Zeltner 2, Shakiyra Peeples 2, Mary Beth Hervig.
G oalkeepers – MB: Jessica Deforge (2).
Records – Myrtle Beach: 8-1.
High school boys golf
Carolina Forest’s Cole Swezey shot a 38 to earn medalist honors, but the Panthers fell short against North Myrtle Beach.
Team scores – North Myrtle Beach 158, Carolina Forest 162
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH – Vijay Mishra 39, Jordan Ehly 39, Daniel Graves 40, Matthew Leonard 40.
CAROLINA FOREST – Cole Swezey 38, Ben Roleson 39, Enzo Farrar 42, Adam Allen 43.
Course – Eagle Nest. Par – 36.
Alan Crum shot a 2-over 38 to earn medalist honors and lead St. James past Conway (3-5).
Team scores – St. James 161, Conway 174
ST. JAMES – Alan Crum 38, Lyle Ciardi 39, Ryan Crum 41, J.B. Housenfluck 43
CONWAY – Travis Gunter 41, Hunter Chandley 42, Dalton Richardson 44, Spencer Harrelson 47
Course – Shaftesbury Glen. Par – 36.