Roundup | Waccamaw edges Aynor on baseball diamond
04/19/2013 10:17 AM
04/22/2013 10:20 AM
High school baseball
• (At) Waccamaw 7, Aynor 5 | Curtis Lawing was 1-for-4 with two RBIs and a run scored as the Warriors got the win over the Blue Jackets in the Region VIII-AA Championship.
Records – Waccamaw: (16-8, 8-2 VIII-AA)
• Emmanuel Christian 6, (at) Conway Christian 3 | Alvie Herring struck out 11 batters in a losing effort, as Conway Christian came up short against Emmanuel Christian.
Records – Conway Christian: (10-1, 7-1); Emmanuel: (6-3, 5-2)
• (At) Myrtle Beach 5, North Myrtle Beach 1 | Wilson Wicker was 2-for-3 with an RBI and two runs as the Seahawks got the win over the Chiefs.
Records – Myrtle Beach: (14-6, 7-3)
• Loris 8, (at) Green Sea Floyds 2 | Tanner Chock was 2-for-4 with a double as the Lions got the win over Green Sea.
Records – Green Sea Floyds: (8-9, 4-6 Region VIII-A)
High school softball• (At) Green Sea Floyds 10, Loris 2 | Short writeup if not at the end of a story.
Records – Green Sea Floyds: (7-7, 4-4)• Conway 8, West Florence 2 | Sydny Howell pitched a complete game, striking out 11 while leading Conway to victory over West Florence. The Tigers have qualified for the playoffs for the first time in five seasons.
Records – Conway: (11-10, 4-3)
• (At) Waccamaw 12, Aynor 4 | Hallie Butler was 3-for-3 with two runs and an RBI as the Warriors got the win and finished the regular season tied with Dillon for first place in Region VIII-AA. Both squads will face off in a playoff Monday night at 6:30 p.m. at Aynor the championship.
Records – Waccamaw: (22-3, 9-1 VIII-AA)
• (At) North Myrtle Beach 3, Georgetown 2 (9) | Taylor Hansis hit the game-winning RBI in the bottom of the ninth inning as the Chiefs got the win over the Bulldogs.
Records – Visitor, home.
High school girls soccer
• Myrtle Beach 3, (at) Wilson 0 | Tori Zeltner, Mary Beth Hervig, and Shakiyra Peeples scored a goal a piece to lift the Seahawks over the Tigers. Hervig and Zeltner added an assist each.
Goals – MB: Tori Zeltner, Mary Beth Hervig, Shakiyra Peeples
G oalkeepers – MB: Jessica Deforge (3). W: Isabel Davis (10).
Records – Myrtle Beach: 9-2
• (At) Aynor 6, Loris 0 | Olivia Barton got the hat trick as the Blue Jackets picked up the win.
Goals – A: Olivia Barton 3, Harley Davis, Maggie Klein, Caitlin McClellan.
G oalkeepers – A: Cheyenne Littlejohn (2).
Records – Aynor: 7-3.
CCU Women’s Track
Big South Outdoor Championships
After day one, Coastal trails Liberty by just five points in the Big South Outdoor Championships. In the long jump, Erica Peake finished first with a jump of 19 ft. 4.5”, Latesha Simpson finished 4th with a jump of 18 ft. 3.5”, and Amirah Al-Bayinnah finished 5th with a jump of 18 ft. 2”.
In the 10,000 meter run, Letitia Saayman finished 5th with a time of 37. 11.2, and in the hammer throw, Anjulia Nicholson finished 8th with a distance of 160 ft. 4.5”.
Join the Discussion
The State is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.