Trent Brittingham will continue his football career at the Air Force Academy.
The River Bluff senior signed his letter of intent Friday to play with the Falcons. He was recruited as a long snapper.
Brittingham, who originally committed to Army, will join his brother as a student at Air Force.
“I chose Air Force because of the opportunities with education and being able to serve in the military afterward,” said Brittingham, who plans on becoming a pilot.
Brittingham was a long snapper and played both offense and defense for the Gators. On defense, he had 34 tackles and three sacks and caught five passes for 67 yards as a tight end.
“He would never come out of the game,” River Bluff coach David Bennett said. “He has been an example of what a selfless leader is.”
Other signings from Midlands athletes in recent weeks:
▪ Swansea athlete Quaveon Cannon signed to play football at Bluefield College in Virginia. Cannon was fourth in the Midlands in rushing with 1,525 yards and nine touchdowns.
▪ Brookland-Cayce defensive end Keyshawn James signed with The Citadel. James led B-C with 120 tackles and four sacks.
▪ Lexington midfielder Conley Waters signed with USC Upstate. Waters, a two-time team captain and all-region pick, had two goals and five assists.
▪ Ridge View’s Faith McKie signed to run track at Claflin. McKie was member of the Blazers’ record-setting 4x400 relay team.
▪ Lower Richland’s Victoria Hicklin signed to play volleyball at Johnson & Wales.
Irmo’s Gunn tears ACL
Irmo center R.J. Gunn said Friday he tore his ACL and meniscus and is expected to be sidelined at least six months.
Gunn’s injury occurred during the first half of last week’s Capital City All-Star Classic at Heathwood Hall. The junior averaged 14.3 points and 5.3 rebounds in helping the Yellow Jackets to the Class 4A championship game.
Gunn said he’ll find out Monday when he is scheduled to have surgery.
New class announced for Chapin Hall of Fame
Six members have been announced for induction into Chapin Hall of Fame.
This year’s class will include J.B. Addy, Randolph Bowers, Charlie Williams, Ben Anderson, coach John Rodgers and Joe Schelble.
The inductees will be enshrined at a banquet in August and there will be a golf tournament in April. For ticket info, call Matt Barber at 803-873-6759.