- Know your neighbors. Call 911 if you see anything at all suspicious, including a stranger going from door to door. Police want you to report any suspicious activity.
- Lock your home and car doors. Buy strong doors and windows.
- Many burglars will leave and go to the next house if your house is hard to get into or looks occupied.
- Cut your grass, pick up daily newspapers.
- Keep a dog.
- Clear shrubbery away from the house and get motion-sensor lights outside.
- Have an alarm and a new, unfaded sticker on windows saying "Alarm."
- Stop mail deliveries when you go away.
SOURCES: City of ColumbiaPolice Department; Richland and Lexington Sheriffs Departments