Tonight, the 2010 college football season kicks off as the Gamecocks of South Carolina take on the Golden Eagles of Southern Mississippi in Williams-Brice Stadium in Columbia, South Carolina.
The home team measures in at a combined 653 feet 2 inches and weighing 24,322 pounds. The visitors come in at 638 feet 7 inches and tip the scales at 23,724 pounds.
These two giants have never met on the football field before, but here is how the Golden Eagles have fared against the teams on USC’s 2010 schedule, compared to the Gamecock’s record against the same teams:
- Southern Mississippi has never played the Furman Paladins, the Vanderbilt Commodores, the Arkansas Razorbacks or the Clemson Tigers.
- The Golden Eagles are 2-3 against Georgia, a winning percentage of 40.0 percent. The Gamecocks hold a 14-46-2 record against the Bulldogs, a winning percentage of 24.2 percent.
- Though the Gamecocks are in the same conference as the Auburn Tigers, the Golden Eagles have played them almost three times as often. South Carolina and Auburn have met eight times on the football field, giving USC a record of 1-6-1 for a winning percentage of 18.8 percent. Southern Mississippi has a total record of 5-17 giving them a winning percentage of 22.7 percent against the Tigers.
- As with Auburn, Southern Mississippi has played Alabama far more times than the Gamecocks. However, this is the first team on the list against which USC has a higher winning percentage than the Golden Eagles. Southern Miss has met the Crimson Tide 42 times on the football field and has a 6-34-2 record, giving them a winning percentage of 16.6 percent. The Gamecocks, on the other hand, have a 3-11-0 record against Alabama, giving them a winning percentage of 21.4 percent.
- The Golden Eagles do not have a win against Kentucky in two tries, while the Gamecocks hold a 14-6-1 record against the Wildcats, giving them a 69.0 percent winning percentage. South Carolina has also won the last 10 in a row.
- Southern Miss also does not have a win against Tennessee in the five times they have met on the football field. The Gamecocks are 4-22-2 against the Volunteers for a 17.9 percent winning percentage.
- Another teams that the Golden Eagles have never beaten is the Florida Gators. The two teams have met five times and Southern Mississippi has yet to take home a victory. However, the Gamecocks have not faired much better, holding a 4-23-3 record against the Gators for a 18.3 percent winning percentage.
- Both teams have enjoyed success against Troy. Southern Miss has a 7-1-0 record against the Trojans for a winning percentage of 87.5 percent. South Carolina has won its only two meetings with the Trojans.
Though neither team has a high winning percentage against many of these teams, they will both be looking to tip the scales in their favor tonight as the Gamecocks of South Carolina host the Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles for the very first time.