- The Columbia Garden Club's annual Fall Plant Exchange is set for 10 a.m. Saturday at the Forest Park Shopping Center (home of the Piggly Wiggly) at 4711 Forest Drive.
If you have plants to exchange, label them in pots or plastic bags. You can bring perennials, herbs, trees, shrubs and rootings from your shrubs. You do not have to bring a plant to take some home. A botanist and a master gardener will be available to help with plant identification.
- The Cayce fall plant exchange is 10 a.m. Saturday at the Cayce City Hall Complex, 1800 12th St. Ext.
There will be a master gardener available to answer questions. You do not have to bring a plant to participate;, and the event lasts until all the plants are gone. You can bring seeds, bulbs, clippings or cuttings, potted house plants, shrubs, trees and any plant that can be repotted or transplanted.
Information: (803) 917-7124 or www.cityofcayce-sc.gov
- The South Carolina Native Plant Society will hold its annual symposium Saturday and Sunday at Poinsett State Park.
There will be talks about rocky shoals spider lilies, Carolina seeps and urban forests. Workshops on bog gardening and landscaping with native plants also will be taught. You do not have to be a member to attend the symposium. Field trips include Congaree National Monument's big trees, Sparkleberry swamp, kayaking and USC's urban forest. Information: scnps.org/symposium.html
- Now is the time to start thinking about bulbs. Riverbanks Botanical Garden's bulb sale is set for Nov. 7. All the bulbs are chosen by Riverbanks horticulturists. For best selection, you can order bulbs at www.riverbanks.org. Or you can shop at the sale 9 a.m.-noon Nov. 7 in the Bog Garden Plaza at the West Columbia entrance.
- Join S.C. Midlands Master Gardeners to learn planting techniques and survival strategies for newly planted trees and shrubs. The free workshop includes information on tree and shrub selections.
Today, 6:30 p.m.: Camden branch of the Kershaw County Library, 1304 Broad St. Reservations suggested: (803) 425-1508
- Upcoming workshop at Wingard's Nursery, 1403 North Lake Drive, Lexington:
Trees for shade and color, 10 a.m.Saturday
Information: wingardsnursery.com or (803) 359-9091