- "Turtle Tracks," book reading and signing by author Sally Plowden. 4 p.m. Friday at the Carolina Children's Garden, 900 Clemson Road in Northeast Richland. (803) 771-0870; palmettoconservation.org
- Learn how to build a rain barrel at a workshop Nov. 17 at the Lexington County EMS Training Facility on Ball Field Road. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., $20, which includes rain barrel materials. Space is limited. For more information: www.clemson.edu/public/carolinaclear/consortiums/lcsc_home/programs.html
- Now is the time to start thinking about bulbs. Riverbanks Botanical Garden's bulb sale is set for Saturday. All the bulbs are chosen by Riverbanks horticulturists. For best selection, you can order bulbs at riverbanks.org. Or you can shop at the sale from 9 a.m.-noon Nov. 7 in the Bog Garden Plaza at the West Columbia entrance.
- Join S.C. Midlands Master Gardeners to learn how to prepare beds for late winter vegetable garden or for spring planting. Learn a no till, no digging, no weeding method of bed preparation. Raised beds and cold frame alternatives for protection of winter vegetables and tender perennials will also be discussed.
Sunday, 3 p.m. Main branch of the Richland County Public Library. 1431 Assembly St. Reservations not needed.
Nov. 12, 6:30 p.m. Cayce/West Columbia branch of the Lexington County Library. 1500 Augusta Hwy., West Columbia. Reservations, (803) 794-6791
- S.C. Midlands Master Gardeners will be teaching techniques for caring for your holiday plants and extending the blooms of your amaryllis and paperwhite bulbs, Christmas cacti and poinsettia. Also learn how to incorporate these plants into your summer garden.
Friday, 10 a.m. Irmo branch of the Lexington County Public Library. 6251 St. Andrews Road. Reservations, (803) 798-7880
Nov. 13, 10 a.m. Cooper branch of the Richland County Public Library. 5317 N. Trenholm Road, Columbia. Reservations, (803) 787-3462