To stop the endless number of catalogs that come to our mailbox, I do this. I tear off the back page and then go to the Web site and ask the company to remove me from its database. I use my name and address as they appear on the catalog. My catalogs are down to almost none, and I can always shop online. - Nancy from Connecticut
I have some repairs going on in my bedroom, and the workers came without anything to protect my furniture. I found some plastic shower-curtain liners, and they worked great to drape over furniture, etc. Plus I'm sure I can reuse them for other paint or craft projects. - Joan in Houston
Digital Access for only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
You should install carbon-monoxide detectors near bedrooms in your home to prevent possible sickness or death. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, deadly gas that occurs when fuels, such as gas, oil, coal or wood (in boilers, oil burners or water heaters), are burned incompletely. The gas then permeates your home - about 65 percent of carbon-monoxide-related deaths come from heating systems.
Have your furnace and water heater maintained properly and checked by a professional at least once a year.
Buy a detector that is certified by the Underwriters Laboratories. The packaging should have the UL letters in a circle logo. Do not buy a used detector.
Carbon-monoxide detectors should be placed either high or low on the wall and within 15 feet of every bedroom. Newer-model detectors can detect both low and high levels of carbon monoxide.
If the alarm goes off, open the windows. Get everyone out of the house as fast as possible. Call 911 from outside when all family members are safe. - Heloise